Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser locks up w/ more than one tab open

• Please log in to reply

xcopx

xcopx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, main problem is IE locks up when more than one tab is opened, sometimes it won't even load the first home page (google). Firefox is the same way. This is on an XP SP3 laptop. My other laptop works fine.

I can use outlook just fine and if I can get IE to open a download link from my RSS feed I can even download torrents.

Another issue I'm having on the same machine, started around the same time is iTunes won't open. It started with the CD Drive registry issue. I would just click ok. I got tired of that and tried installing the Gears drivers. No fix. Now it won't open, I tried "Completely removing and reinstalling itunes." Nothing.

Also, Outlook.exe continues to run after exiting "sometimes". It used to be everytime, but I disabled some add-ons and that has helped, although I haven't tried disabling every add-on.

I've run MBAM and SB S&D. I use AVG Free and Zonealarm.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I've seen similar issues lately caused by AVG.
Uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/u.../download-tools and see, if it helps.

xcopx

xcopx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I uninstalled AVG and now Firefox works perfectly, iTunes opens just fine, and Outlook closed, but IE8 still locks up when more tan one tab is opened.

I upgraded IE7 to IE8 when I was originally troubleshooting the issue. Should I try to reinstall it? What about AVG, try to reinstall as well or use something else?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd skip AVG altogether.
Your better choices:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c..._antivirus.html

As for IE, try to uninstall it. It'll revert to IE7. See, if you have same problem.

xcopx

xcopx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I couldn't install IE7 but reinstalled IE8 and now that works. I went with Avast. Everything seems to be working great again. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One more nail to AVG's coffin :)