Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited connectivity on home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

pshug

pshug

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, Im having a sudden bit of trouble connecting my girlfriends dell laptop to my wireless network at home. It worked fine until roughly one month ago now all i can get is limited connectivity.

I have a pc upstairs, a ps3, wii and iphone that are all able to connect wirelessly without any problems and the pc wired directly to the router works fine too.

Ive tried everything i can think of, ive unplugged the modem and router, checked through device manager that everything is in working order and all drivers are up to date now i dont know what else to try.

The ip adress on the laptop is 169.254. which i understand is part of the problem. Both pcs that i own are currently running windows xp with all the latest updates the dell laptop is running on vista, as far as i am aware it is updated too. Im not too familiar with the workings of vista so please take this into account with any suggestions you may have any help right now would be greatly appreciated.

I can provide more info that would be useful on request, thanks

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Reinstall the wireless driver on the problematic laptop.

Windows key + R|type cmd|OK|

Type netsh winsock reset catalog at the command prompt.

Reboot the laptop. Try connecting to the wireless network. Be sure to double check the network key from one of the functioning computers. Are you using WEP or WPA/2?

Please post back with your results.