Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Struggling to Start

• Please log in to reply

TravisRoberts

TravisRoberts

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi to all, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for a problem I am having. I've searched online but to no avail, as their are many people with solutions to problems relatively similar to mine, but these solutions don't seem to have worked for me.

I apologise if I seem ignorant but I'm not hugely good with computers.

Anyway my problems started this afternoon when I turned my computer on as usual. It hung on the windows 7 welcome screen for quite some time. I was not overly alarmed as my computer has a history of being relatively temperamental (It's and Acer Aspire M1641 if that is of any relevance, purchased new Jan 2009). In the past it has frozen, occasionally for at most ten minutes before returning to normal. Before I upgraded I constantly had to have it in sleep mode due to the fact it would take over an hour to power up each time, thankfully Win 7 helped this.

This time it took closer to twenty minutes, and then when this passed I was greeted by a black screen and just my toolbar. When I move the cursor across it, it would show as busy.

After leaving it for close to an hour and nothing booting up, I tried a number of options suggested online (thank god for the g/f's laptop), I have checked the hard drive is not dirty, I have attempted to restore (and apparently have no restore points).

I once again turned the computer on and left the house, returning after three hours, I found the screen saver active, my hopes were raised. When moving the mouse, this then froze. After five minutes I was greeted by the toolbar ,an acer bar that has always existed but I have never used), and a message saying RealPlayer had an update available. I attempted to close the Real Player window and that froze, although I was able to get into my toolbar. I felt it might be worth running my Driver Detective programme, but on attempting to type it into the search bar, that window also froze.

I eventually tried ctrl+alt+del, which came back telling me there has been a "failure to display security and shutdown options". The screen then went black, then returned to it's frozen state.

In writing this message, the real player update message has finally gone, but a new message telling me about the release of a new version of another programme has sprung up. Finally the clock in the sidebar has shown up too, which is the first time it has done so all day.

I am quite reluctant to turn it off, as it seems to just be working really, REALLY slowly to access the desktop and start windows, given the latest developments.

But I'm just wondering if anyone have any suggestion if 'waiting and seeing' overnight doesn't pan out.

Thanks in advance for any consideration and suggestions.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
TravisRoberts-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Let's start with some basics computer specs. I understand that your computer model is an Acer Aspire M1641. Please list the following:
  • Your computer's hard drive information (including total and free capacities)
  • Your computer's RAM
  • Your computer's processor information (brand and speed)

TravisRoberts

TravisRoberts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Currently I do not have that info available, but will try to get it to you when I return from work.

Latest update, woke up this morning after leaving computer on all night, and the entire desktop has now loaded, but everything is still extremely slow, have not been able to access any programmes, and ctrl+alt+del is still bringing up the same error message as before.

There seem to be updates that also need installing. I have to go to work now, when I return I shall try and get above information for you.

TravisRoberts

TravisRoberts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, further update. Unfortunately I'm finding it near on impossible to get the information you are asking for as I cannot get into any program's in my computer, nothing is responding to me.

When I cam home from work, the computer had ran a virus check and was responding. As soon as I attempted to open any other program's it hung.

I noticed the computer was telling me it had updates to install on shutdown, so I thought this may have been the problem. So I clicked the shut down button from the start menu, and it told me it was waiting for a programme to close, but showed no details. That screen then flashed off, and then it came up again, telling me this time the program was explorer.exe log off sounds. Once this finally disapeared I once again got the black screen with a cursor in the middle, for roughly ten minutes before the computer then switched off, without showing itself logging off or installing my updates

Currently I am in safe mode, attempting to get into the My Computer section to try and disable the log off sound to see if this helps, as have seen relatively similar problems, but even Safe Mode is hanging when I attempt to open anything. It has been hung for about 10 mins now, right clicked to open as well, just will not respond.

I'm really at a loss as it seems to be taking literally hours upon hours for it to carry out the most simple requests. But it does eventually carry them out, like I say if I give it like 10 hours, at some point the desktop does fire up, but you can still do nothing without hangs.

I do apologise if my descriptions make it difficult for you to help me, but any suggestions are really really appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your system HERE?
Specs are on the page

TravisRoberts

TravisRoberts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, have just seen on the front I have 3gb DDR2 Memory, 640gb hdd (split over 2 hard drives I believe)