Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kmixer.sys CPU usage and choppy video play

• Please log in to reply

Persian Pride

Persian Pride

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello guys, I just joined this forum since I was having problems with my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. Intel Pentium M processor (1.8 GHz) and 2GB RAM. I have a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card.

I just recently reformatted my laptop and couldn't help but notice the horrible video playback. I did a few things such as installing DirectX, updating flash player, and unchecking all non-microsoft related startup processes (msconfig).
My laptop sometimes does great and plays my game at 20-30 FPS, but then after a few minutes, the FPS drops to about 3.
Same with watching videos. It's like looking at pictures really. Thats how bad the choppiness is.

So I decided to do some investigation and installed Process Explorer to look into detail. Turns out that under the System process, there is a thread called kmixer.sys which is a driver for a soundcard I guess. This one thing has spikes in CPU usage up to 70% sometimes.
Another thread to look at under Svchost is krnl or kernel something. Also uses quite a bit sometimes.

I wanted to see if anyone could possibly help me as I would greatly appreciate it. I looked at just about every forum there is about my problems, and still haven't gotten a solid solution yet.

Thank you in advance,
SK

Advertisements