Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Drops out

• Please log in to reply

Spinydelta 1

Spinydelta 1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Guys.

I'm new to this forum but wanted to ask a question about my Internet. About every 2/3 Hours the Internet will just "Drop out". I'm really confused on why this happened, I will just be searching on Google, chatting on MSN, or even on Xbox Live, then it will Disconnect. I try to fix the problem by troubleshooting Problems in Windows 7, but it tells me to restart my router. So once I restart the Router, all is good for the next 2/3 hours, then I have to restart it again. Does anybody know why it would be doing this?? at first I thought it might be overheating, but it doesn't feel hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Unplug all hardware then connect your PC directly to the cable or DSL modem. Make certain the Windows firewall is enabled before you go online.

Is your connection now the same, better, or worse?

Spinydelta 1

Spinydelta 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Ok, I have tried that and the connection is Better (like faster), But it still dropped out, but after about 3 hours, and the pain is that all the computers are connected via Wireless anyway because of where the Router is and where the computers are.

Could it be a problem with the router?

Thanks again in Advance.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If one computer is connected to the modem and it's still acting up, the problem could be the modem or even the line, either inside or outside of your house. If this is the case, then you should talk to your ISP and request a modem swap, or to have them look at your modem histogram with their network management tools.

Spinydelta 1

Spinydelta 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, thanks so much for your help. I'll give them a call!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
My pleasure. Please post back to this thread with your solution or any further questions.