Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleting Windows.0 - but flash10.ocx blocks it

• Please log in to reply

idhazza

idhazza

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My XP SP3 system is running slowly and I discover i have another version on windows on - Windows.0
Got no idea how it got there.
If I delete it will my system speed up? Hope so.
How to delete.
I see other posts how to delete the ini file but I dont know how to navigate there. Did a search but ended up at a folder called pss...

I had a go at it by doing this -
Firstly I cloned C drive.

Then...
Had a go at removal but hit a snag -
when deleting Windows.0, a message comes up saying cant remove Flash10.ocx so I rebooted into Safe Mode.
Tried again, same message - went to Control Panel\Add Remove and deleted all Flash apps, retried - same problem. Back to Normal Boot Up - made a back up of the registry then did a cleanup of the registry. Tried again - no go. Searched for Flash10.ocx - it's not there, so searched for *.ocx and low and behold is lid'le 'ol flash10 as sculking at WINDOWS.0\system32\Macromed\Flash....nothing in Windows [the normal boot version] so being the malicious type I tried to squish it - delete some call it but it will not delete. I'm sending this in then rebooting to Safe Mode to try to delete it there again....No cant delete the Flash10.ocx

Any advice about the steps needed to delete windows.0 would be appreciated. Thx

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
YOU are very lucky if you have not got yourself into a deep hole.
This is what you should have done.
BEFORE YOU START, establish a system restore point.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888023

idhazza

idhazza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thx but been there done that...also have a clone pf the drive. The trouble is, the restore would have been a couple of months ago - i think the win_0 has been there that long and i clean out old restore points from time to time, so that is not an option so far down the line.
Any other good ideas.
Thx

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry do not follow what your reply means.
HOW LONG ago your last restore point is has no relevance, I was suggesting you establish a restore point, before following the procedure in the link I sent.