Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to other cpu coolers instead of stock coolers

• Please log in to reply

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey guys! :)

I was thinking of upgrading my stock cooler to a better cpu cooler.

I'm not sure whether these 2 coolers are good or not but I decided to choose either one of these:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
Xigmatek Dark Knight

And oh yea I have a Core 2 Duo processor @ 3GHZ (E8400). I would like to overclock to 4GHz too!( Will post another topic up if i had one of the coolers above)

May I know which is the best cooler? :)

And if you have any other recommendations on other coolers please tell me too! Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The Xigmatek Dark Knight is probably the best cooler for the money. Before it got really popular (like when I bought it) it was only like $32. I'm very impressed with the Dark Knight and he scores fairly well when tested. They invented the direct touch heatpipe technology everyone is using now.

Found this on Tomshardware.com. Best CPU Cooler for LGA 775 and take a look at this... Top Heatsinks Reviewed by Frostytech Keep in mind, some of these heatsinks are HUGE, so you want to make sure it doesn't hit your northbridge, your memory, and isn't taller than how wide your case is.

Another one that is making some news is the all-in-one water cooling setup from Corsair. Corsair H50

Edited by Ferrari, 25 March 2010 - 08:28 AM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I've been a fan of Thermalright for quite a while, but I may well give the Corsair H50 a go.

http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey Ferrari and DaffyKantReed :)

The dark knight is really good from your statement I can consider it( I just hope I can find stocks on retail stores ) :)

As for the Corsair H50 isn't a it a bit too overwhelming on just a Core 2 Duo?

PS: Is cooler master V8 good too?( I prefer to buy on retail stores instead of online xD and the shop I visited seemed be a fan of cooler master :))

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, the V8 is good too. I almost recommended that one, but I didn't. It is very big, so again, make sure you have the room. Here is an image of it on a motherboard... HERE And the Dark Knight on a motherboard HERE.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hmmm I don't think the V8 can fit into Cooler master 590 case? Coz that is my case xD

http://www.coolermas...product_id=3927

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm not sure. You will have to find the dimensions of the V8 and the dimensions of your case. Probably listed on each manufacturer's website.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Cooler Master V8

Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 158 mm (4.72 x 4.72 x 6.22 inches)

Weight: 867 grams (30.58 ounces or 1.91 pounds)

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I suppose the 120 x 120 x 158 mm is Width, Height and Depth?

So if my casing's dimensions is (W) 210 x (H) 440 x (D) 510 mm I suppose it can fit ? :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I believe that would be Width, Depth and then Height.

Here's what it looks like mounted on a motherboard:

Posted Image

And then inside a case:

Posted Image

More info here:

http://www.coolermas...product_id=2869

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
From the pictures above I guess it would fit :)

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Oh I just forgot. This V8 cooler requires 180W of cooling power. My psu is only 500W, can it handle the load? 0.0

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
All we know about the rest of your system so far is that it has an E8400, which is 65W.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

This V8 cooler requires 180W of cooling power. My psu is only 500W, can it handle the load?

The V8 or any other CPU cooler fan will not draw much power at all, much less 180W. The 180W figure means it will cool a CPU which radiates 180W of heat, which your CPU will not. At most the fan of the V8 may draw 1.6W, which is very little.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Oh I see thanks!!!!

You guys are a great help! :)