Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IT Career Choices

• Please log in to reply

teahou

teahou

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am in college to get an Associate's Degree in Computer Information Systems. I need to pick my electives soon, which will determine my specific discipline, and thus my career. I am wondering if I should go into programming, database development or networking. It seems most of the programming jobs are being outsourced. My decision will be based on job growth, income and job security. Please give me your opinions.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
out of the 3 i'd choose either database development or networking (which i did choose). either is a solid starting point for a stable career as both are always needed.

the networking option pretty much assures you that your job won't be outsourced. you can't outsource a job that has a physical component that's required in your location.

the database track doesn't have quite the same outsource proofing. BUT it does have massive profitability if you're good at what you do, find a good job with a good company, and stick with it. DBAs can make boat loads of money because virtually no one does what they do.

teahou

teahou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Good deal, this is the excat kind of info i am looking for. I noticed in current job postings that most require a BS. I am 36, with a year left before I get my AAS and i have no intention of going back to school for my BS at this time (I may in the future, once I have landed a stable job). I have friend who is a Sr Software Engineer, and he said to not worry about the BS requirement, most places will hire someone with an AAS fi they like the person, and think they can train them up. This was in regard to programming careers. What is your opinion of this as to Database and Networking?

Also, If I can't find a job directly into Networking or DBA after school due to only having an AAS, would it be smart to get a help desk or support position and work my way up from there into DBA or Networking?

Thank you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well i may be counted as lucky but i've got an AAS degree and i'm a couple weeks away from my 5 year anniversary as THE I.S. administrator at the company i work for. One advantage of the AAS over a BS in a job market like we've got right now is that you're expected to take the job for less money if you've got an AAS...which sucks a little considering the amount you've probably paid for school, but at the same time, it's better than not getting a job in the field.

the biggest thing that any company that's hiring in any IT related field is looking for is experience. they'll usually pay through the nose for someone with experience. however, it's hard to get experience if you can't get a job in the field. an AAS can often get you in the door in a lower level job or if you're lucky like me, into a pretty high level job if it's the right company hiring. then after you trudge through the first few years gaining on the job experience your resume will start looking better and better and the AAS will be much less important.