Hitachi 500G SATA 7200RPM
Gigabyte HD5450 PCI-E 2.1 1GB DDR3 DVI HDMI D-Sub DX11
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H MB-AM3 785G/SB710 5.2GT/s,DDR3
AMD Phenom II 550 DualCore 3.1GHz 7MB CACHE 80W
OCZ 3G (3x1G) DDR3 PC-10666 Platinum 3G Triple Kit 1333Mhz
Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
The currently installed PSU is a Omnix (I think) 460w, the CD-RW is good but getting old and the case is about 15 years old with one fan.
OK. So, my problems are this:
1) Sometimes on boot it will get to the Windows loading screen, 3 of the colours will stop moving and it will hang there indefinitely (I left it for 1.5 hours once and it hadn't changed.
2) When I attempt to unlock the hidden cores to make the CPU a quad, it only works half the time and when it doesn't I have to go back into the BIOS to change the setting back to what it needs to be (All Cores) to use all the cores.
3) I had a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) the other day, after the computer went into power save mode and I came back to use it again.
4) When I have error 1 or 3, I need to reset on the machine itself and it recommends to do a Windows Startup Repair. I've attempted this many times and it always comes back as an unresolved issue, but it boots fine sometimes anyway.
5) When I first boot up the system for the day there is a short-low beep followed by the normal short-high beep. When we first put the system together it would beep once followed my lots of really low beeps, but this hasn't occured since the first build.
Ok, so my theory is my PSU isn't powerful enough and is creating these problems. I've run a virus scan and all drivers and BIOS are up to date. I can't figure out if it's a hardware compatibility issue or if there's more to it
To conclude, to complete my upgrade I'm going to buy an as new case (2 months old) with an extra case fan from a mate, plus these components:
LiteON IHAS324 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail
XFX ATI HD5770 1G Dual DVI DL HDMI DP (to replace the 5450)
OCZ ModXstream Pro 700W modular PSU (to one day crossfire two HD5770s)