Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply

Lowthian

Lowthian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any help that can be provided. I'm not sure if I'm posting to the correct area because I'm not sure what the problem might be. So here's my issue.

My mom is 85 and uses her computer for mostly email and playing the installed games that come with the operating system. She got it from her local senior citizens center so it came without any disks. She asked me to help her with a problem she says she's been having for a while. She says that means over a month. I thought I'd try a system restore but discovered it had been turned off so that wasn't an option.

Her computer is a Dell Optiplex GX260 with Win XP Pro SP3 and a Pentium 4 2.00GHz with 512 MB RAM on a single stick. What is happening is she gets random restarts of the OS. I brought her computer to my house and the same thing happens. It usually takes from 5 to 15 minutes for it to happen. It does not happen when I boot to safe mode. I installed Avira Free Antivirus on it some time ago and it's virus defs are up to date.

Since I've had it I have done a full virus scan with no issues being reported. I've also run MBAM without any issues reported so I thought maybe that is not the issue.

I stopped the auto restart feature so I could get a look at the blue screen and it gives the stop code:
0X00000050 Page Fault in Nonpaged area. I read the description of the 0X50 code and based on that I downloaded Memtest v3.3 and ran it from a diskette. I let it run though 8 tests and it reported no errors.

So I think I'm beyond my abilites to fix this thing without help. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dick

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This computer is old enough that newer games can lock it up very quickly. The computer only has a 160 watt power supply, and that is just not enough for games. So the computer glitches and that causes a restart. Along with a poor power supply you also have very little memory left to play any games with. The basic XP operating system will use around 300 to 350 MB's of memory to just run. If you have dedicated some of the memory for graphics( dell allows up to 128 MB's of shared memory)it is a wonder the computer runs at all with only 512 MB's of memory. I would try installing another stick of 512 mb Memory to see if it helps. The GX 260 can't see more than 1 gig of memory so don't try adding any more than 512. If the power supply is the problem it would be easier to find a newer used computer that trying to find a better PS that will fit. They take a odd breed of power supply.

SRX660

Lowthian

Lowthian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your response, but like I said in my original post, the games played on this machine are the ones that came with the operating system (solitaire, freecell, pinball, hearts) and she's been playing them for years without a problem so I don't think they are the issue. I agree that this computer was bottom of the line when it was new, but it has served her well over the years because she doesn't require much in the way of resources.