Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP: Memtest problem

• Please log in to reply

_ViE_BE_

_ViE_BE_

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought a new computer, the computer guy at the store ran memtest to make sure the RAM was working fine, and it was all good. I dont know how he loaded it up, because all he had was the motherboard, RAM and power.

Anyway, now i have the computer at home, i want to install windows. However, every time i start up, it goes to the first black screen (like normal), then it runs memtest.

I tried going to Advanced BIOS setting, and changing 1st bootable device to CD ROM which has my win xp cd in it, but the computer when rebooted always goes to memtest.

Do you know how to remove memtest, or what setting i need to use to change it, so i can install windows?

thanks

my computer spechs:

DFI Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D
AMD 3200 Venice core
2GB 3200 Corsair TwinX
ATI Radeon X800 XL 256 MB
Antec 480W TPII
250 GB Seagate SATA 8 MB Cache

Edited by _ViE_BE_, 20 May 2005 - 07:40 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds odd...floppy in the drive?

Are you saving the bios settings, because if cd-rom is first, it should check that first even if he did install it to the harddrive (which makes no sense).

_ViE_BE_

_ViE_BE_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no floppy in the drive, he just replied to an email saying it was in a setting in the 'genie BIOS' (i think thats the new BIOS on dfi nf4 chip). BUt i dont know how to change the setting.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
sounds like he set it up somewhere in the advanced settings. See if you can find it there or better yet, ding that fellow that sold it to you and make him fix it!