Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Backup Drive

• Please log in to reply

robdbeal

robdbeal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, hopefully this is the right section to post this in. I had to replace my hard drive a few months ago and finally got around to getting all of the old information off of the old drive. I had to purchase an external hard drive enclosure that connects via usb because I can only connect one hard drive internally. I've already reformatted the old drive but I was wanting to use it as a backup drive. I don't know how to go about installing a very basic OS so that I can transfer files. I did actually try to install Debian Linux so I could try my hand at learning linux but kept having install issues (I did this by just disconnecting the newer hard drive and connecting the old one so I could install off of the CD). I'm just unsure as to how to install the OS... or if there's some other way that file transfer between drives would be easier? Anyway, any help or guidance would definitely be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
By using a external HD you do not need to have a operating system on it at all. As long as the external drive has the same formatting as the computer you are using you are good to go. You should be able to hook it up, turn it on, and then going thru "Windows Explorer", be able to move files to and from the external drive just like it was a second HD in the computer.

Here's 2 pictures of my explorer. The first shows my 2nd partition of the drive installed in the computer.

Posted Image

The next picture show when i have my external drive hooked into the system.

Posted Image

I use this drive to save most of my data that i know i will not keep for a long time on the computers drive. When i save to it i just specify the "G" drive and the folder i save it to. I add folders to the drive as needed thru windows explorer.

SRX660

robdbeal

robdbeal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Wow, thanks, I was putting way too much effort into this. That was easy enough to do in my sleep... Thanks again!