Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using wireless router as extender?

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Just a quick rather strange question..

i currently have a netgear wireless router (wpn824). i am going to purchase the new Dual Band wndr3700 to increase performance and range. my question is will i be able to turn by old wireless router in to an access point / extender? i have a cat 5e bacle running to the other end of the house and would pluck it in there for better coverage that end.

is this at all possible? would i turn off NAT or something like that? i want it to still be part of the original wireless network to access wireless printers and storage ect..

josh

Edited by ==SpuD==, 28 March 2010 - 02:50 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Afraid not, you can only have one router on any given network setup, there's no workaround for that rule. You will have to buy a purpose-made extender if you need extra range.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depends....check the manual for the old router and see if it's got settings for AP mode. many wireless routers made in the past couple of years have AP mode capabilities

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Okay i will check for AP mode

But surely if i turned NAT off, it would request ip addresses from the new wireless box? or does it not work like that haha? :$

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But surely if i turned NAT off, it would request ip addresses from the new wireless box? or does it not work like that haha? :$

sometimes it does....turning of nat and DHCP etc... however, if your router has a button for AP mode, then it's easier

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
okay, i don't believe it has AP mode specifically so how would i go about doing it? Would i just turn off DHCP and NAT? and then i assume set it an ip address in the range of the ones specified by the 'New' Wireless box?

Thanks for your help dsenette :)

Josh

EDIT: i have been googling (if thats even a word haha) the topic and came across this, would you say this is a suitable method?

thanks again!

Edited by ==SpuD==, 03 April 2010 - 04:21 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you didn't link to anything so i don't know

you would want to turn off nat, turn of the DHCP server in the router and set the router to get it's ip via DHCP. that SHOULD do the same as AP mode

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
very sorry about that, i just realised that too :$

here is the link i meant! http://kb.netgear.co...detail/a_id/965

thanks again