Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply

• Please log in to reply

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I had an issue with my 250W power supply getting noisy after running it four long hours daily. After giving my computer specs, one of your users suggested that the power supply was low wattage for the components that came with the computer as stock parts (even though the power supply was stock as well). To resolve the issue I started hunting for a new power supply and purchased an A-Power AK series SATA ATX Power Supply that is 680W. It is a 120MM fan with sleeved cables (some kind of nylon like fabric). Well I ran the PC while I was away for the weekend in order to configure some system settings. When I returned and initiated peripheral use of the computer, the power supply began to smell like the nylon cables were burning or that perhaps some of the wires were burning. Upon inspection, I see nothing out of the ordinary with the power supply or the sleeves (I didn't open it because that would void the warranty and by that I mean remove the external case). I'm thinking that perhaps the smell was the air, passing over the sleeves (which bore no heat whatsoever) and then emanating out the back of the fan. I installed it in the same manner that the previous power supply was installed, noting the positions and shapes of the cables (even so much as to connect P2 and P4 connectors to the same components which they were previously installed. I'm not sure why this occurred. Can someone offer some advice?

I am using an HP Pavilion p6110f (most of the parts are Chinese but they all bare an FCC logo). I have 6GB of RAM, 2x2GB sticks and 2x1GB sticks (samsung). The original power supply is a Lite-On 250W unit. I have 2 Intel processors running at 2.6GHz (E5300). I have installed an Nvidia GS 8400 graphics card as well. The processor itself has a fan situated on top of it, as well as one venting an exhaust out the back of the computer. Does the advice the previous member gave me sound like it was good advice (that the power supply should be increased?). If so, did I increase the power supply too much?

As for the operation of the power supply, it wasn't hot at all. And that's after having been running for 3 days. My ethernet wall plug got hotter than that in the five minutes I used the computer before the smell was noticed. Any advice?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi IconicMoronic :)

Lets start with answering some questions:

Does the advice the previous member gave me sound like it was good advice (that the power supply should be increased?).

Technically speaking, yes the closer the wattage the computer is requiring to the wattage the power supply can put out can increase overall noise of the PSU (Power Supply Unit). In my experience, most OEM machines like Dells, HP's, Gateways, etc... have noisier PSU's than some of the really nice custom ones I've dealt with. Also, they generally aren't of the best quality so over time they are sure to get noisier too. Another reason they get noisy is from dust and/or nicotine build up causing the fan to struggle and other components to run hotter. OEM PSU's usually are put in machines will little headroom from what the machine requires and what the PSU can put out.

In short, it seems like good advice, but a brand new PSU can be noisy as well if you don't know which ones are quiet or buy something not specifically made to run silent/quiet. For example, my PSU is dead silent, I hear nothing come from it... after all, it is called a "Silent Pro". However, a very good PSU in my parents machine that I absolutely love and is a great quality, has a fan that does exert some noise.

If so, did I increase the power supply too much?

No not at all. The PSU will only exert what the computer needs really.

Can someone offer some advice?

From your detailed description, it seems the sleeved cables probably just warmed up from being inside the computer and gave off a smell since they are so fresh and new. I have also noticed over time that new computer parts sometimes give off a funny smell right when I take them out of the sealed packaging. It is usually the spell of fresh paint/almost like spray paint smell.

I think as long as your system is running fine, don't worry about it too much. If the smell increases dramatically, something could be burning and take caution. Just keep an eye on it. Take note on how long you have left on the warranty as well if things get worse.

Hope that helps. :)