Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st build, Graphics Card problem

• Please log in to reply

eikone

eikone

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I finished putting together my first complete build and tried to start up for the first time last night. Everything started running (fans, lights, temp/fan controller) AND a very loud (and annoying) continuous beep. :) It was NOT the usual BIOS code beep. I turned it off, rechecked all connections, memory cards and all other expansion cards and still had the same results. Also, in addition to the very loud beep, it sounded like I had my old house box fan running in there! Some fan was running very loudly! I finally took out the GPU and plugged in an old (and I mean OLD) graphics card I had laying around and, voila, it booted right up! I left it at that (it was 4am, too tired) and have not begun any OS or other installations.

Should I just go ahead with the installations and then try to reinstall the GPU as if it were an upgrade? This GPU is one of the major reasons for this new build. I really want to get this thing up and blazing NOW!!! :)

Here's a more complete system list:
MOBO - ASUS P6T
PSU - 660w Kingwin Premium Series
CPU - Intel Core i7 920
CPU Cooler - Dark Knight
RAM - 6GB OCZ DDR3 Gold
HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Black
SSD - 60GB OCZ
GPU - ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB
HDTV Card - Hauppuage Win TV-HVR 1600
Lian Li 3.5 LCD Thermometer & Fan Controller
Optical Drive - SAMSUNG Super-WriteMaster SH-S223
(will soon be adding Blu-ray Drive)
System is housed in a Thermaltake XaserVI case that I have done some modding to.
Also have external 640GB WD MyBook Storage, LG Super-Multi DVD writter and
my HP w2408 24 inch LCD Monitor.

Advertisements

eikone

eikone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I posted on another forum too and they seemed to want to blame my PSU. Apparently it wasn't a favorite brand name so therefore it must not be able to handle the GPU. So I took their advice and went out and bought a Corsair 750w PSU (not modular, YUCK!), spent the last couple hours undoing all my great cable management to install the new PSU, did my best to "manage" this one's mess of tentacles, and started it up again,.... SAME FREAKING PROBLEM!!!!! :) (and yes, I meant freaking, cause thats what I'm about to do! :) )

So now what! All you super geeks out there, any more ideas, PLEASE! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

AND a very loud (and annoying) continuous beep.

Can you confirm the beep code for me? For example... 1 long, 2 short, or repeated short beeps, or long continuous beep, etc. etc. The motherboard gives beep codes when their are problems. This will help me tremendously.

Do you have power to the graphics card? Their should be a couple PCI-E connectors plugged into the front of the card from the PSU. Also, without researching too much right now, some boards require that you use the closest PCI-Express slot to the CPU when only using 1 card... are you using that slot?

I finally took out the GPU and plugged in an old (and I mean OLD) graphics card I had laying around and, voila, it booted right up! I left it at that

You seemed to have found the problem yourself. Obviously there is a problem with the new video card. I don't know if it's because you don't have it plugged with power, or the motherboards slot is bad, or what, but the fact that an old card took away the beeping and let the computer POST... confirms something is wrong in that area.

Should I just go ahead with the installations and then try to reinstall the GPU as if it were an upgrade?

It won't hurt anything to install Windows with an old video card. When the time comes to add the better or new card, it will just boot with low graphics until you install the driver for the new card in windows. You obviously won't be able to play games, but you can surf the web, mess with Windows, check emails, get a feel for her, etc. etc.

Let me know that beep code, and if you have dedicated power to the 5870. Also, if you have another PCI-Express card (doesn't matter how fancy) to throw in the same slot you were using for the 5870, that would help. Keep in touch. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 29 March 2010 - 10:10 PM.

Gunner75

Gunner75

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I know im new here but in total ive built 7 pcs in the past year for friends and neighbors 3 of which were since christmas and have that very GPU. I cant personally verify that psu is causing the problem, but i would imagine since the suggested power supply for a 5870 is at a minimum 600 watt. and you have all that power hungry gear on your build i would imagine if you upgrade to a minimum 750 watt or even go as high as 800 watt your problems will disappear.

To agree with Ferrari i would suggest going with a smaller card for the time being to install windows. Doing so will also suggest its a power issue.

just my initial thoughts

Edited by Gunner75, 29 March 2010 - 10:09 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

i would imagine if you upgrade to a minimum 750 watt or even go as high as 800 watt your problems will disappear.

He tried a 750 Corsair which is plenty powerful enough to power the 5870. I suspect bad video card, bad motherboard slot, or faulty installation (card isn't all the way in the slot, no dedicated power plugged to the card, etc.)

eikone

eikone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the replies. BTW, I'm a she (not that it should matter). Yes the dedicated power is connected and the card and all other connections have been thoroughly checked and rechecked. I have tried installing in another PCIe slot with the same results. My case did not come with a speaker so I had to fish one out of an older case. On the first couple of tries I did not have the speaker hooked up yet so the "beep" was not a BIOS code beep. It really isn't a beep as much as it is a continuous alarm type sound and it is much louder than the case speaker for the BIOS code.

After hooking up the speaker the code was one long, three short, meaning "no VGA detected" according the the mobo manual. At this point, I really do not think that it is a power problem. I'm leaning toward a bad GPU. Unfortunately, I do not have another PCIe card that I can use to test the slots but, since I already tried it in another slot, I don't really believe that is the likely problem either.

Any other opinions? I'm not sure about the return policy of Micro Center is. I bought it in a retail center, not online, and it is about 5+ hours away from me (stopped there while traveling). Should it be covered under warranty by ATI?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

After hooking up the speaker the code was one long, three short, meaning "no VGA detected" according the the mobo manual.

I'm leaning toward a bad GPU

Yes. Unless it's something wrong with the mobo/slot then it is definitely a bad GPU.

Too bad you don't have another PCI-E card to confirm, but replacing the GPU is what I would bet on fixing the problem.

BTW, I'm a she (not that it should matter).

I sincerely apologize. I type "he" without even thinking since I seem to primarily help males. Again, very sorry. Good to see a female geeking out with us. :)

As for the Micro Center's return policy, I'm not sure. The car would definitely be covered under ATI's warranty. I'm not sure which process you should follow. I guess call Micro Center and see what they have to say about you living 5 hours away. If that's a dead end, call or email ATI.

Start a new topic in the System Building and Upgrading Forum and post pics of your new build when you have it all done... it would be great to see that AWESOME rig. Good Luck!

eikone

eikone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

After hooking up the speaker the code was one long, three short, meaning "no VGA detected" according the the mobo manual.

I'm leaning toward a bad GPU

Yes. Unless it's something wrong with the mobo/slot then it is definitely a bad GPU.

Too bad you don't have another PCI-E card to confirm, but replacing the GPU is what I would bet on fixing the problem.

BTW, I'm a she (not that it should matter).

I sincerely apologize. I type "he" without even thinking since I seem to primarily help males. Again, very sorry. Good to see a female geeking out with us. :)

As for the Micro Center's return policy, I'm not sure. The car would definitely be covered under ATI's warranty. I'm not sure which process you should follow. I guess call Micro Center and see what they have to say about you living 5 hours away. If that's a dead end, call or email ATI.

Start a new topic in the System Building and Upgrading Forum and post pics of your new build when you have it all done... it would be great to see that AWESOME rig. Good Luck!

No problem with the gender issue. I use a generic screen name to avoid those few who do not hold us female geekers to the same esteem as you guys. :)

Looking on my receipt and Micro Centers website, it doesn't look very promising to be able to exchange it with them because it has been over 30 days. Guess that's what I get for having a life outside of "geeking". I bought the "guts" for my system at the retail store as I was traveling through the area. I liked being able to physically shop for what I wanted and get assistance of the spot with any questions. I ordered my case from Newegg. I bought everything while I had the money still but I did not have the time to do all the necessary work right away. I did some case modding too and that took longer than I expected. Of course, as i said, I do have a life and many other responsibilities, hence I have been "building" for a couple of months now. I'm soooooo ready to get this finished!

I do want to post pics and possibly video of the finished product, if I ever get it finished. I am quite proud of what I have accomplished and all I have learned in the process. That is why I decided to build myself, not just for the finished product, but for the journey getting there. There's no better way to learn than hands on. I've made a lot of mistakes along the way but I've gained a lot of knowledge too and the next time, hopefully, I won't have as many hard knock lessons to learn.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This "Micro Center" should still be able to help you, although they may have to send it back to their suppliers instead of giving an immediate exchange. Otherwise the manufacturer of the card will have a warranty on it, you will need the original invoice as proof of purchase and post it off to them. The manufacturer likely isn't ATI but rather an OEM such as Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte etc...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Troy! Long time, no talk. :)

This "Micro Center" should still be able to help you

Micro Center is a really awesome computer store in the U.S. They have 22 locations and just opened one up about 30 minutes from me last November!! They compete with Newegg prices, but the luxury of shopping in a store... pretty awesome. They carry all the latest stuff, even water cooling and a ton of computer cases out of box so you can touch and feel and slobber, etc. :)

although they may have to send it back to their suppliers instead of giving an immediate exchange

Yes, I believe the 30 days applies to "in-store" return policy. They can probably help you, but you would have to wait until they send the card back and get the new card in. I think... :)

The manufacturer likely isn't ATI but rather an OEM such as Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte etc...

I feel like such a goof... yes, don't contact ATI, contact the manufacturer of the card... Sapphire, XFX, ASUS, etc. I blame it being 12:30 in the morning when I posted that on that mistake! :)

Cheers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Micro Center is a really awesome computer store in the U.S. They have 22 locations and just opened one up about 30 minutes from me last November!!

the closest micro center is about 500 miles from me...but I do have a frys within walking distance from me..while they do get a fair bit of money from me...most of my components are bought online using price alerts for the things I need/want...newegg...tigerdirect...zipzoomfly and at least 6 other sites...

eikone

eikone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Micro Center is a really awesome computer store in the U.S. They have 22 locations and just opened one up about 30 minutes from me last November!! They compete with Newegg prices, but the luxury of shopping in a store... pretty awesome. They carry all the latest stuff, even water cooling and a ton of computer cases out of box so you can touch and feel and slobber, etc. :)

That's exactly how I felt about it when I discovered the walkin store,... I felt like a fat kid in a candy store, :) a VERY BIG candy store! I accidentally discovered it while traveling on my way back home from a holiday visit with family. I stopped at a Best Buy to pick up something for my phone and for a little leg stretching. I just happened to have my printed "wish list" from Newegg for my new build so I thought I would compare it to some in store PCs. I cornered one of the GEEK guys for some help and he told me to stick to my list and that I should check out Micro Center. It was just 20 minutes down the road so I headed straight there. My leg stretching turned into about a 4 hour drooling session. :) Since I already had my list and still had my stash of cash for it, well, I couldn't resist! I got everything except for the case (there were only a couple that the GPU could fit in and I didn't like them and they were too much).

I feel like such a goof... yes, don't contact ATI, contact the manufacturer of the card... Sapphire, XFX, ASUS, etc. I blame it being 12:30 in the morning when I posted that on that mistake! :)

Yeah, it was quite late for me too (or early?). I seem to be a night owl, always staying up way too late. I think some people claim I have an addiction to my computer. It's not the computer, it's all the stuff on it! :) But there could be worse addictions, so I think I'm fine. :)

I tried going to the ATI sight first and soon figured out that wasn't going to get me anywhere. It is and OEM by VisionTek. I have sent both a service and a tech help request. Hopefully I get a resolution to this soon. In the mean time, guess I can only wait. :)

Gunner75

Gunner75

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im lucky i have 2 Microcenter Malls close to me one in Columbus Ohio and the other in Cincinnati. both about 1.5 hrs from me. And as far as my dealings with them, so long as you still have the receipt and it was purchased "new" and NOT an open box they will take it back and either refund your money or allow you to make an exchange for the same card

Edited by Gunner75, 30 March 2010 - 05:27 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

most of my components are bought online using price alerts for the things I need/want

Yeah, most of my purchases still come on line, but it is soooo nice to have a fair priced computer store with everything you could ever need for a PC if you need something that day right away.

I think some people claim I have an addiction to my computer. It's not the computer, it's all the stuff on it!

I know what you mean... for me it's really about the people I get to interact with (my online friends) and the people I get to help. I thoroughly enjoy that and I dedicate a good few hours a day if not more towards my online life(days I don't work, more than a few hours). I still enjoy getting out of the house experiencing the real world too, but if I had to choose going out on Saturday nights for drinks the rest of my life, or Saturday night online and geekin' out the rest of my life... I choose my computer and the world wide web. :) Fascinating world there...

And as far as my dealings with them, so long as you still have the receipt and it was purchased "new" and NOT an open box they will take it back and either refund your money or allow you to make an exchange for the same card

Good to know, I haven't had to return anything there yet. Thanks.