Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver related problem

• Please log in to reply

thefreed

thefreed

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Backstory: I realize that this isn't needed but it's just a hilarious/enlightening experience of mine that I feel like I need to write it. Okay so some time ago I found that when I started up my computer the OS wasn't working properly and that the start menu and programs wouldn't show up. So for some time I went to safe mode and I found that by using system restore and getting a system restore fail message would start up the windows correctly and that I would be able to use it, but yesterday I found that this wouldn't work anymore... so I reformatted my computer but then I found all the drivers to be missing and I wouldn't be able to go on the internet.
I don't exactly know what type of drivers I need for my computer...
It's a custom computer.
I know you don't have to help me but if u can then it would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are looking for your chipset drivers. These are the motherboard drivers needed to run USB, Network, etc. Open up your side case and look at the motherboard. You need the make and model of the motherboard so you can go to the makers website and download the drivers you need.

Example: In the red rectangle is the model numbers for this Asus motherboard.

Posted Image

Find this on your computer and you can download the chipset drivers. Please state the make and model of the motherboard here if you need help.

SRX660

thefreed

thefreed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ummm I don't exactly know how to open up my computer to look at the motherboard... I don't really have the tools eithere...
Can I goto the Device Manager list and get the information that way?
and I also found that my sound wouldn't work.
Today before I left my house I got some information about my computer that I thought would help.
Please check if it helps at all.

the audio drivers
Legacy Audio Drivers Legacy Video Capture

Computer
ACPI Uni Processor PC

Hard Drive
WDC WD 800BB-00FRA

Radeon 7000/Radeon VE Family

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GHZ

This is from the other devices section
Ethernet Contoller (or something like this)
Info PCI\VEN-8086
PCI\CC_0200000

PCI\VEN-8086&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_100A8086&REV_03

If these information are not needed I'll get the motherboard information and post when I have access to the internet.

I am also going to be downloading the drivers onto a CD and transport it to my computer is that possible? or do I need a USB memory?

Thank you for helping me out, this is a pretty old computer but it's the only one I have :)

Also I've found that there are three question marks
One for Ethernet Controller
PCI Moden and the other for... I forgot what it was.

Oh also I've been doing some research about this and I found a program called Hwinfo that will get me the information I need.
I'll download this and other stuffs onto a cd and I'll go find out the make and model and come back.
Thank you for your patience :).

Edited by thefreed, 30 March 2010 - 10:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download CPUz from my signature below
[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

thefreed

thefreed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Manufacture:Intel Corporation
Model: D845PESV AAA976777-108
Chipset:Intel i845PE

Type:DDR
Size:256 Mbytes

SPD
samsung
Max Bandwidth:PC2700(166MHz)

Oh and another thing... I am going to burn the drivers onto a CD and unpack it onto my computer. Exactly where do I need to put all the respective drivers?

Thx for all the help it's much appreciated :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe this is your chipset driver.
http://downloadcente... Board D845PESV
At the top of the window click on your OS, then on the next window click on Drivers
The window will refresj and your chipset driver should then be the first one in the list.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2010 - 05:06 PM.

thefreed

thefreed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
man... that was indeed a long quest.
I am now using the internet on my problem computer and it works fine...
The sound works fine now too since I installed all the drivers for it.
But the PCI Modem still seems to have a yellow question mark... I downloaded like 4 different drivers to make sure but I don't know... it doesn't seem to be able to update from the internet either.
Does anyone know why that is? and how to fix it?

Oh and Shaffer and SRX your help is REALLY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I will promise you I won't ever come to this site with this kind of problem again... I'll make sure I backup the drivers before I do any formatting.

Thank you again and wish you all the best :).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go back to the site I listed before and your modem drivers should be in that list also.
In fact if I was you i would download all the drivers in the list and burn them to a disk. mark the disk as Drivers and you will have them for the future.