Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard shuts down while playing WoW

• Please log in to reply

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Husband and I are both gamers - namely WoW. We just had my new system built about this time last year and it runs like a charm. We had his built 6 months later with some slightly newer components and every time he plays WoW his computer shuts down. It doesn't crash with blue screen - it just shuts down. We have replaced and upgraded every component in that one except CPU and some more than once. We have added another cooling fan, upgraded power supply to 1000 watt, done diagnostics on the memory, CPU, video, directX, all are fine. He's gone as far as bought another case, another vid card, replaced a Hard drive, replaced the CPU fan with a larger cooler.
System:
ASUS M4N78 Pro
CPU AMD X4 955
Memory Corsair PC2-6400 4 2048 Modules
Video Invidia Geforce GTX 285
Op Sys Windows 7 Professional (I run Windows 7 home version)

The problem is not heat related - we moniter the temps - CPU is 39C Motherboard is 37C Video GPU runs 56C (WoW is the only thing that shuts the Motherboard down - he can run anything else and several at a time with no problem)

He is about to go out and buy yet another motherboard and CPU, as he is out of ideas. Help please.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Have him run the Stability Test for 12-24 hours.
http://www.ozone3d.n...s/fur/#techdata

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So far it's running like a charm. I can see how that would tax a system, tho. No problems yet.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
What is the brand name and model number of the power supply?

Does the Event Viewer give any clues as to what's happening?

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The power supply is UltraX3 ATX 1000 watt ULT-HE1000x We replaced motherboard to better compliment the CPU, wrote to Blizzard and did everything on the list they suggested. He is not using any add-ons now. Totally deleted everything in WoW, did a fresh install and it still turns off!! Your help is greatly appreciated. And there is nothing in the event viewer at all.

Edited by Miss Daisy, 01 April 2010 - 02:55 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://www.gromacs.o...=stresscpu2.tgz

Unpack with Winrar, then run stresscpu2_win32.exe for 24 hours minimum and see if any errors occur. I believe your can load all four cores with stresscpu2, even if you need to run two instances concurrently.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
top - 15:11:43 up 2:12, 2 users, load average: 24.89, 13.19, 5.64
Tasks: 189 total, 25 running, 164 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 98.4%us, 1.6%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 1022220k total, 863940k used, 158280k free, 45712k buffers
Swap: 2313320k total, 0k used, 2313320k free, 385348k cached

It also works on 64bit Linux.

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
He used hotcpu tester pro for 18 hours with all 4 cores loaded - no issues.

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
We ran the test for a full day and it ran smooth as silk. Started up WoW and it shut down after about 2 hours like someone unplugged it, so he, then, got standard mouse and keyboard, and disconnected any usb device that he wasn't using. It is still shutting down. There is nothing more to replace except the CPU. We found another forum where someone had the the same problem and replaced everything and is still shutting down. Whoever comes up with the solution for this is worth their weight in gold.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I saw a few articles mentioning a "2.2 patch" for WoW. If you can live without this patch, your problem may be solved.

I wish I would have bookmarked the pages, but alas, I did not.

Advertisements

bianchii

bianchii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ive been having this EXACT same problem that you describe, started a couple weeks ago and became more and more frequent. The computer would just go out cold while playing WoW almost as if someone had tripped over the power cord. Now when i turn it on, all accessories and fans works but i am not getting anything on the monitor, just black. no bios post beeps, nothing. i tried a spare GPU and no change. Reseated the CPU with new grease, no change. Cleaned the entire case with compressed air, no change. Reset CMOS by pulling the mobo battery and using jumpers, no change.

I am really really starting to get frustrated. If i can prevent myself from throwing the thing out the window i think im just gonna have to take it in to a techy and let them deal with it. ive searched the internet for hours and tried everything ppl have suggested and no luck. just a black screen. i almost want to say the patch screwed something up...

bianchii

bianchii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
double post :/

Edited by bianchii, 27 June 2010 - 01:26 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
bianchii

You need to start a new topic instead of hijacking this one. The symptoms may be the same but the outcome different.

You actually have a difference because your computer won't start and Miss Daisy does.

bianchii

bianchii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
wrong, try reading a little more carefully. my problem was exactly the same as hers and it only recently progressed into something else. i didnt hijack [bleep] captain, i had identical symptoms that another player had and now it makes me wonder if the recent patch did something

bianchii

bianchii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Good news! i solved my problem. motherboard was fried. I took it to a local repair shop to test a few components like the PSU and we narrowed it down to the MB. Replaced it and were good to go!