Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Profile Logs In and Immediately Logs Back Out

• Please log in to reply

ManekiNeko

ManekiNeko

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently acquired a computer from a friend who had problems with it and just didn't want to deal with it. She gave it to me as is, without any restore disks or Windows XP disks. The computer information I know so far is that it's a Dell Dimension 9100 running Windows XP Pro.

When I first got the computer, it would not even turn on. It would get power (the lights on the front of the tower lit up) but gave nothing but a black screen and a beep code. I researched the beep code and found out for this computer it meant that there was an error in memory. So, I opened up the box and took out a stick of RAM to see what would happen. :) Without that stick of RAM, the computer booted up to the select your profile screen and when I clicked the profile it began to log on. It showed the desktop (without icons) for a few seconds then went back to the profile screen and said it was "logging off". I rebooted the machine and tried to log in in safe mode but, I got the same result. I also tried logging in as Administrator, but it was the same thing. I put my own Windows XP Pro CD in the CD-Rom to see if it would allow me to restore or repair Windows, but it didn't do anything different. It seemed to not even register that there was a CD in the drive.

I don't know what happened with this computer before it was in my possession. I have no idea if there was a virus or some malware. The most information I can get from my friend is a confused face and her throwing her hands up. :) So, any help is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

- Jen

Advertisements