Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting files/deleting proprietor names

• Please log in to reply

BillB

BillB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, hopefully someone out there can help, I am a COMPLETE computer idiot so anything you say needs to be broken down to the simplest terms and steps. That being said, I recently aquired a used computer. There are some files on it I want to get rid of and I have heard deleting them or emptying the recycling bin will not get rid of them totally. Is there a way to get rid of them in a more complete manner so they can't be recovered?
Second question, some of the files and such have the old owners name in them and I think I am correct in saying that the computer is registered (correct term?) in the old owners name. Is there a way I can change it so the computer has my name on it? Hopefully I put enough info in this to be understood. Thanks for any info

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hello, hopefully someone out there can help, I am a COMPLETE computer idiot so anything you say needs to be broken down to the simplest terms and steps.  That being said, I recently aquired a used computer.  There are some files on it I want to get rid of and I have heard deleting them or emptying the recycling bin will not get rid of them totally.  Is there a way to get rid of them in a more complete manner so they can't be recovered?
Second question, some of the files and such have the old owners name in them and I think I am correct in saying that the computer is registered (correct term?) in the old owners name.  Is there a way I can change it so the computer has my name on it?  Hopefully I put enough info in this to be understood.  Thanks for any info

View Post

Let's do this a little at a time. Make a list of the files/folders you want to delete. Especially if they are complete programs you don't want. Go to Start>Control Panel and open Add/Remove Programs Utility. Look for any programs you wish to delete. Select them and click Add/Remove button. On all the ones you can uninstall this way, there are going to be remnants.

After you deleted programs you wanted from this utility, close it and right-click on My Computer Icon on the Desktop and select search. From the list of files/programs you wanted to remove, search for these on your hard drive. If you don't want to send them to the Recycle Bin when you delete them, press Shift+Delete and click Yes to "permanently" delete the files you've selected in the Search window. Make sure you get the shortcuts place in the Start Menu for all programs/files you deleted, too.

Run another Search to be sure you got all from the list you made. If you're satisfied, then you need to clean the Registry. I use a freeware program that allows a backup of the Registry before cleanup :

RegSeeker 1.45

Just make sure a backup is made of Registry. If you're not sure, you can back it up yourself. Think that's enough for now. Let me know how it goes and what help you need.

BTW, do you by any chance have a complete install CD for this PC?

Ron

BillB

BillB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ron, sorry it took so long to reply but I believe I managed to get most of that done, thank you for your help!

Bill

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
hello,

Do you have the option to clean sweep all files then re-install everything, just like brand new?

For Win 98For Win XP Install Win XP.

Please have a visit at Install Win XP. Look for the article to install Win XP, print all instructions.

Note: If you dont want to have a fresh install, follow Major Payne's advices.