Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I was referred to this site from Rorschach112 on the SpyWare Beware! forum (http://forums.maddoktor2.com).

When I recently returned from a vacation, my desktop machine was shut down due to an apparent power failure in my home. I was able to restart the machine, but it would constantly reboot itself within just a few minutes (or seconds) of startup. I could run in Safe Mode a bit longer, but still the reboots occurred.

On the SpyWare Beware! site, I was instructed to download and run a number of virus/spyware/cleanup tools (OTL, TFC, MalwareBytes, Rooter, CKScanner, etc) and post the various logs that were generated. I did so, but after several iterations of that process I have no managed to make things worse.

At this point I can no longer boot the machine normally, in Safe Mode, or even from the original WIndows XP CD. I have a Blue Screen of Death and, at this point, I don't know if the problem is hardware or software related but right now all roads lead to this screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF78FE814,0xF78FE510,0xF70801FC)

*** ntfs.sys – Address F70801FC base at F7073000, Datestamp 41101eea

I see from one of the other postings on this site (and the Spyware Beware! site as well) that I should run chkdsk, but I can get far enough to attempt that.

Full details of everything that I have done so far can be found at:

http://forums.maddok...showtopic=34316

I can re-post any or all of that chain here if necessary. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pls confirm that after entering Setup and making the DVD/CD drive the first boot device and SAVING changes and exiting setup, normally F10 key and then booting WITH the XP CD in the drive, that YOU still get the BSOD.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello RaleighDan and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I would like to try creating a Recovery Disk, instead of using your Windows XP disk.
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop if you would need it again.

Once you've created the Disk, proceed like you would with a normal XP CD:
How to run checkdisk from recovery console.
  • Insert the Recovery Disk into the drive and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 31 March 2010 - 04:55 PM.

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There is no way to save that change, but it is clearly booting from the CD. I am not geting to the BIOS setup page that I think you are referring to. This is exactly what I am doing:

1. Place the Windows XP CD in the drive
2. Press the reset button on the machine
3. Repeatedly hit the ESC key as the system attempts to boot
4. I am presented with a screen (white background with blue text) that says:

Boot Menu

== Select a Boot First device ==

+ Removable
+ Hard Disk
+ CDROM
+ Network

5. I use the arrows keys to highlight CDROM and press Enter.
6. I am presented with a screen (white background with blue text) that says:

CD-ROM

== Select a Boot First device ==

Ch0 M. : HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H55L

7. The only option is already selected. I press ENTER.
8. I get a screen (black background with white text) that lists info about my hard drive and various PCI devices. At the bottom of that screen it says:

Verifying DMI Pool data....
Boot from CD:

Press any key to boot from CD...

9. I press a key and a get a blue screen entitled "Windows Setup". At the bottom of that screen I see several notes indicating that setup is loading various files and drivers. This takes a few minutes. Eventually I am presented with a blue screen that says:

Windows XP Professional Setup

Welcome to Setup

This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to run on your computer.

* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
* To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
* To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

10. If I press either ENTER or R I am taken to the BSOD specified in my original post.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
RaleighDan, Could you try to get into the Recovery Console with the Disk Created by ARCDC?

Regards,
Olrik

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think we were both working on our last posts at about the same time and I didn't see the one suggesting that I create a new ARCDC recovery disk. I have now done that and, unfortunately, I get the same results.

I set the machine to boot from the new CD, I get to the Windows XP Professional Setup screen, when I enter either ENTER or R I get the same BSOD.

Everything that you are telling me leads me to believe that you think this is a software issue. Could it be hardware?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
What we are suggesting -is- hardware. But it's the software not letting us do it.
It's funny that is blue screens whenever you're trying to access the drive, tho.
Do you have a second computer where you could hang the Hard Drive in?

P.S. What did you think of ARCDC?
Was it easy to understand?
Does it need changes?

Regards,
Olrik

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Using ARCDC, it was easy and understandable to burn a recovery disk. My problem, however, appears to severe to be solved for now so I can't really comment on its ease of use.

My other computer is a laptop so I can't hang the old drive off of it just yet. I have an old drive in a drawer that I think still has a working copy of Win XP Home on it. I can try to swap that into place as a boot drive and reconfigure my current drive as a slave. My current drive has multiple partitions so I am not sure that will work, but will try.

If that does not work, I can purchase an external drive shell that connects to my laptop through a USB connection.

In either case, that is more work than I have time for in the next few days as I am heading out of town tomorrow. I will get to these attempts on either Sunday evening or Monday and report back.

I appreciate your assistance.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thanks for the Feedback.

I will have my topic notification on, so take your time and I will get an email when you get back.

Regards,
Olrik

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Olrik,

I purchased an external drive enclosure for my hard drive and have attached it to a laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate. I can now successfully read files from external drive.

The drive is partitioned into 4 parts...originally identified as drives C, D, E and F. While attached to my laptop, these partitions appear as drives F, G, H and I.

I use Norton 360 for my firewall/virus/spam protection. While attached to the laptop, I was able to run a full scan of the drive in order to identify potential issues. Norton indicated that the 'F' partition may have a system or disk error and that I should run chkdsk. The other three partitions were clean.

What is the proper procedure/syntax to run chkdsk against the 'F' drive/partition in my current configuration? Should I even do this or do I need to do something else first?

Thanks,

- Dan

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I would suggest to back up the hard drive before you do a check disk. Or at least copy over your important files.

The proper syntax to run check disk is:
chkdsk F: /R

Keep me posted :)

Regards,
Olrik

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good advice...everything has now been backed up.

I tried to run chkdsk from the normal windows command prompt and got:

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

I then booted my laptop from the Artellos disk and chose R for Recovery Console. I then entered:

chkdsk f: /r

and immediately got:

STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}

The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.

This is getting very frustrating.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Is your laptop running Windows Vista or Windows 7?
If so, you need to start the command prompt with Admin Privileges to be able to run chkdsk.

Open start and in the white box type "cmd".
When the command prompt icon appears, right click it and select "Run as Administrator"
Then type the chkdsk F: /r

Regards,
Olrik

RaleighDan

RaleighDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, I'm making some progress. I was able to successfully run CHKDSK as an administrator, but no problems were found. The output from the CHKDSK is at the end of this post.

I then ran Norton 360 again and this time I did NOT receive the message that I had a system or disk error and that I should run chkdsk. I took the drive from the external enclosure and put it back in my desktop machine. I no longer get the Blue Screen of Death, but it is behaving very erratically.

The machine either constantly attempts to reboot itself, before even completing the previous reboot, or it lets me log in and then immediately locks up. When this happens, I usually get a pop-up window with an error such as:

The instruction at "0x7c925620" referenced memory at "0x0200000c". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program.

This is the same behavior that I saw when I first posted to the Spyware Beware! site. At this point, I can go back to that site and pick up where I left off (you did get me past the BSOD) or I am open to other suggestions that you may have here.

The output of my CHKDSK run follows:

C:\>chkdsk F: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Main.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
155584 file records processed.
File verification completed.
933 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
2 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
179528 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
155584 security descriptors processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
11973 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
1310976 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
155568 files processed.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
83774425 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

358402085 KB total disk space.
23035568 KB in 90150 files.
31532 KB in 11974 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
237285 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
335097700 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
89600521 total allocation units on disk.
83774425 allocation units available on disk.