Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
When I bought the upgrade online I thought the upgrade would write Windows 7 over my Windows XP installation and my HDD would be formatted and clean. Instead I now have XP and 7 on the same HDD and about 9GB of space left. I have a couple of 1TB external drives so space isn't an issue, but is there any reason to keep XP on there? I don't need it anymore.

Ok well I use the partition tool and it looks like it's all on one partition. But when I boot up I get boot options for multiple OS's as if XP is still on there. So I guess I can't format the partition with XP on it because 7 is on it as well?

Edited by BeepBeepRichie, 31 March 2010 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
you can't have two OS on the same partition as far as I'm aware, so you must be mistaken. The XP was left intact in case you decide to go back to it (for reasons like Windows 7 drivers unobtainable for some of your hardware, or you don't like Windows 7 etc.).

Be quite certain that everything works as it should in Windows 7 (both applications & devices) before removing XP. Then make sure you format the right partition.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 01 April 2010 - 01:05 AM.