Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

optiplex gx520 sff drive 1 not found

• Please log in to reply

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi all, Just replaced dvd/cd combo drive. On booting receive message DRIVE 1 NOT FOUND: PARALLEL ATA, PATA 0 (PRIMARY IDE MASTER). On entering bios (F2) BOOT SEQUENCE...Onboard or usb cd-rom drive (not present). Under DRIVE 1 PATA 0 option ON..controller PARALLEL ATA..port: PATA 0 (PRI IDE MASTER..drive details.. drive id UNKNOWN. Exit bios and windows installs. In My Computer the dvd/cd drive is shown, in device manager the dvd/cd is shown as MATSHITA UJDA710. the drive reads all media. Why do I get the boot message & how do I get rid of it?. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Do you have the drive plugged into the master IDE connector on the IDE Ribbon? It would be the connector on the end of the ribbon.

If that isn't it, I would suspect that you need to update your firmware??? for the drive. I've once had a message similar to this involving a hard drive, and it required a firmware update. Since it was a friends laptop I was dealing with, and old laptop at that, and since I've never updated firmware before, we decided to just leave the message there and not mess with it.

It appears your BIOS settings are correct, but I wonder if you need to make the hard drive the primary boot drive? Do you see an option for that? Let me know what you think.

Just throwing some things out there...

Edited by Ferrari, 03 April 2010 - 09:09 AM.

deggitt

deggitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Ferrari, Thanks for the input. Yes, the drive is connected correctly to mobo. & cable is ok hence XP sees it & it reeads media ok, just the very annoying message. Will try the firmware update & post.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are the ide cables tight?
Try re-seating them.

Are you using 40 core or 80 core cable? 40 core is a old type. If this is a newer unit it probably has 80.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

40 core is a old type. If this is a newer unit it probably has 80.

AHHHH, yes. That can makes a difference. 80 is very very thin lines, 40 is thicker. That might be it, ???

deggitt

deggitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Runner, This DELL is a sff gx520 & only has 1x SATA connector for HD & 1x IDE connector for dvd/cd. The cable for the optical drive is a special DELL flat orange cable & is seat ok. Cable & drive are ok as XP sees it & reads all media ok.