Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can connect to router, but internet won't work

• Please log in to reply

Derek182

Derek182

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
So I've recently come across a very confusing problem.
My laptop will find the router's signal and connect to it, but the internet doesn't work. This happens both when I connect to the router wireless, as well as wired. The internet DOES work on the computer when I connect it straight into the modem, and totally bypass the router.
But the thing is, the desktop in the house is wired to the router and the internet works fine on it.
I've tried all kinds of things I've found on the internet, including Winsock fix, resetting the router to default settings, updating its firmware, IP release and renew, simply scanning my computer for malware, and countless other things. Nothing seems to help.
I should mention that the router is at my parents' house, and last time I visited the internet worked no problem; now I came home and it doesn't seem to be working. My laptop worked on my apartment's wireless internet just fine the night before, but I'm still not ruling out any possible problems with my laptop.
Thank you, I'll really appreciate anyone who might be able to help me!

EDIT: Oh, and my laptop has XP, the desktop has XP, and the router is a Linksys WRT54G

EDIT AGAIN: Just booted my computer in safe mode with networking, and the internet works. So I think it's likely a problem with my computer.

Edited by Derek182, 03 April 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

ahalin

ahalin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Similar problem: Dell Inspiron 1525 - No wired or wireless network

Vodafone tried to fix my daughter's 1525 Inspiron (she was having trouble with their wireless USB service) and now she can't get any network, wired or wireless. Its running Vista.

Did lots of surfing and tried most things I think:

The drivers are working properly in Device Manger but I uninstalled and reinstalled them anyway.

I have reset the network host (''netsh winsock reset''), enabled and disabled the connections, deleted them and recreated them, etc.

The manual switch on the side of the laptop is on and wireless is enabled through the Windows firewall. Oh, the router is switched on and working.

Control panel says it IS connected to the router (a D-Link wired and wireless job, which she never had trouble with before). But then the link from the D-Link to the web (through a Linksys ADSL2 modem) is crossed out in the network map in control panel. Which is rubbish because I am using it to type this question with my Dell desktop!

So same as you by the sound of it.

Have I missed something? Or is it reinstall Vista time?

Derek182

Derek182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Found the solution to my problem on MajorGeeks.com forum:
http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=176939
In post #5, which said:
"Check whether a third-party service is conflicting with Internet Explorer
To check whether a third-party service is conflicting with Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
Click the Services tab, disable all non-Microsoft services, and then click OK.
Restart the computer, and test Internet Explorer.
Depending on the result that you receive in step 3, go to the "The connection works" section or to the "The connection still does not work" section.
The connection works
If the connection works, a third-party service may be conflicting with Internet Explorer. To identify the conflicting service, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
Click the Services tab.
Click to select half of the listed items, and then click OK.
Restart the computer.
Test Internet Explorer.
Repeat steps 1 through 5 until you identify the service that is conflicting with Internet Explorer.
If you are not using the conflicting service, we recommend that you remove it, or configure it not to start when the computer starts.Collapse this tableExpand this tableNote You may have to contact the developer of the service for information about how to remove it or to configure it not to start. See the "More information" section for contact information."

Turns out SOMEHOW Apple's Bonjour Service (which I installed back in 2008 with iTunes) somehow caused the problem. This doesn't make much sense to me, since I've had it for so long, and have used the internet here with it installed...
I assume it must be corrupt or something, so I'm either going to get rid of it completely, or reinstall it.
Anyways... hope this helps anyone else who may be having the same problem I did!

ahalin

ahalin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, we don't use internet explorer (or windows if we can avoid it!)

Derek182

Derek182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Sorry, we don't use internet explorer (or windows if we can avoid it!)

My problem wasn't just with Internet Explorer, it was with Firefox and all programs that needed internet access. Just that guide mentions Internet Explorer, because the person they were helping was using it.
Up to you what you do. Worked for me, though.

md2apc

md2apc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When this happens on an older notebook Dell HP etc

1 google the exact model number (from the tag underneath) followed by drivers
2 select the link to the mfg's website http://www.dell.com/...t/inspiron-2200
3 find dell wireless assistant or HP wireless assistant etc and download and install the wireless assistant
4 The reason we need to do this is because some older wireless adapters in notebooks will not work with Windows Wireless
Manager. They need the wireless assistant from the manufacturer of the notebook.