Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet download slow, upload virtually non-existent

• Please log in to reply

linoleumz

linoleumz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone, great work you guys are all doing on here, where would the world be without willing people like you? Anyway, if you could find the time to help me figure this out, I would be grateful. I live on campus and I'm using the university's ethernet connection. When I'm connected with one of my comps, I get an average download of 8-9mbps and an upload of 5-6mbps. But when I connect with my other desktop pc with the same cord/connection, i get around 4-5mbps download and a 20 kbps upload . Out of desperation, I replaced the hard drive and did a fresh install of Win XP Pro, but the connection problem remains the same. In my mind, this can only point to some hardware issue, but I'm completely stumped as for anything beyond that (the connection was fine a month ago). The PC is a Dell Optiplex GX620 with onboard NIC. I performed a line quality test at dslreports if that will help in the diagnosis, the link is http://www.dslreport...ity/nil/2632638. Let me know if an ipconfig listing would be shed any light. If the NIC is defective or worn out, is my best option just to buy a PCI network card? Any help/tips/ideas/suggestions would be immensely appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
As PCI network cards are cheap, I would fit one and see what happens.
Be sure to disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS though, otherwise you may get a resource-conflict and neither will work at all. However, on some systems, on-board components are disabled automatically when an alternative device is fitted, so you may not have to disable it yourself.

linoleumz

linoleumz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
UPDATE: put in a PCI network card to test it out and baddabing baddaboom! MONEY. So, yeah, turns out the integrated NIC on the motherboard must have gone bad. Why it went bad, I haven't a clue. Maybe wear, rust, gecko poop... who knows. Thanks for the tip about the BIOS phil :)