Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800 gts thermal tape or thermal paste

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yesterday out of boredom I pulled the heat-sink off my 8800 gts to give it a well needed cleaning and I noticed some of the thermal tape on the chips were missing and/or almost non existent.

I reapplied arctic silver 5 onto the gpu but can i apply it to the chips as well?
If I can use it in place of the tape should I remove all the old tape and apply as5 to everything?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Steps 3 through 5 answer all of your questions HERE

In a nutshell, yes thermal paste can be used on the memory chips. And YES, remove any old paste or pads before apply the new thermal paste. This is basically so the chips can have a perfect "seat" with the heatsinks, if there are gaps or not completely flush, they can over heat.

Let me know how it goes. I hope that helps. :)

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
awesome, that was exactly what i was looking for, guess i didnt look hard enough lol

ill update after ive done thses steps! thanks a million

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

guess i didnt look hard enough

It was the very first hit on google when I searched for "apply thermal paste to memory on gpu" :) But that's ok... I ask before I google ALL THE TIME... and my friends hate it. :)

thanks a million

You are very welcome. :)