Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OpenDNS blocking Facebook

• Please log in to reply

AlisonW

AlisonW

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was using Facebook last night and all was well. I logged onto my Laptop this morning and Facebook is now blocked by Open DNS with the comment 'Sorry, you can't go on the site daddy says nooooooooooo'. I didn't install Open DNS last night and have no idea where it has come from and I can't find anywhere to remove it or change the settings. I have never had this message before.

It's Explorer 8, running on an Acer Aspire 2930z.

Any help would be appreciated!!

(I didn't know where to post this but have done it under Security - please feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum)

Edited by AlisonW, 05 April 2010 - 02:39 AM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Though it could well have been the Mindreading Penguins of Phobos 17, I believe your father may have configured Open DNS on your behalf. Perhaps you should take the matter up with him.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
who's your ISP?

AlisonW

AlisonW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Virgin. I didn't think they were linked, but I have also been having modem issues through my Belkin wifi router since last night. I'm having to unplug it to re-set the modem connection, and it has done it several times last night / today.

Are the OpenDNS and modem (or Virgin) issues linked?

If it has been configured on my behalf, how do I stop it from happening again? I didn't follow any link that mentioned OpenDNS and I certainly didn't download anything. There isn't a programme that I can go into to alter the settings either.

Thanks.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://www.mediafire.com/?yzgwaj5himm

The screenshot above is what one will see when logged in to the OpenDNS configuration. I've used it on several occasions and I'm 99 and 44/100 sure that's what your are seeing.

Once again, I believe, "Sorry, you can't go on the site daddy says nooooooooooo'" should be taken as a strong hint.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...didn't read that in the post...mabad, some ISPs are actually using OpenDNS now for their DNS servers, this isn't your issue. you need to talk to your dad

AlisonW

AlisonW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. The page I saw was quite different to that one you linked though .. it looked authentic but had the above text and a picture of a man next to it. The rest of the page was full of random advertisements. I've checked my internet history and surprise, surprise, there's nothing there to enable me to go back and look, and the problem has resolved itself now anyway as I can get on Facebook with nothing from OpenDNS.

Just out of curiosity, how can someone (or something) hack into a computer like that and randomly block a webpage? It feels like an invasion of privacy to be honest.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@AlisonW

Here's a bit of reading about DNS spoofing and poisoning.
http://www.securesph...rs/dnsspoof.htm

AlisonW

AlisonW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the replies .. appreciate it :)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
No problem at all, AlisonW.