Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

messed up?

• Please log in to reply

dumbum

dumbum

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi....my computer isn`t acting normal at all.... I`ve been having all kinds of issues..home page takes forever to load if at all, takes multiple attemts..had super anti spyware but it wouldn`t update and would lock up..I deleted it, ran better(not good just better ) for a couple start ups then again with issues Ccleaner the same..spybot the same..I`m using XP with F-secure .computer at times wont shutdown..so I`ve been holding the off button to shut it down..I`ve run anti spyware and antivirus(when I can) but nothing comes up and if it does catch something it doesn`t stop the issues..I seem to be limping along..barelyI`m not puter literate so I`m at my wits end !! I hope this is where to post and TIA

Advertisements

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi

What are the specs of your machine first?

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
not sure where to find what you need, but does this help?

Machine name: YOUR-BF8876BC18
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: GT4010
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2014MB RAM
Page File: 584MB used, 3321MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please include results in your next reply

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Used 34.5 GB Free 333 GB
Don`t know how to do the 2nd step...I have it on desktop but its to large to attach??

Edited by dumbum, 06 April 2010 - 04:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to save the log as autorun.TXT
If it is saved any other type it will be to large to attach.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "NvCplDaemon"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "TkBellExe"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

When all steps are completed please let me know how your system is responding then. :)

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
System is responding when i do connect its quiker but a few issues have remained...connections takes forever then time out..home page still takes 2 attemts..my outlook express mail loads but doesn`t connect..my sound dissapears and sometimes a reboot wont recover it, when I turn it on it states there are no sound files..there is more but i`ve been limping along for a week at least. Oh and the reboots I`ve done..takes 5-10 min. to shut down

Thanks for everything up to now...would it be wise to re-format? or change operating systems? though either of those solutions will have to wait for someone who knows how

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without first trying to find the cause of the problem you may be dealing with a failing hd or memory.
A infection could be lurking also but I can only deal with the software and hardware parts.
First order of business is to check the system files and physical disk to see if there is any issue there.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Advertisements

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
It hasn`t

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
All Gateway gave with this machine is a restore dvd..can this be used ? Or should I try the other way?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the other way as the Recovery cd usually will not work.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I thought it would run on auto but I`m contantlty hitting the cancell tab..only 1/4 done...and already things are normalizing...1st time in days I got into O.Express...will finish the scan when I return this evening.