Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell laptop won't boot past Blue dell screen

• Please log in to reply

Alewiina

Alewiina

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I know there is a similar topic on this already, but mine is just slightly different.

When I hit the power button on my Dell Inspiron 6000, it flashes the blue dell screen as usual.

Then it goes black with just a grey cursor in the top left corner.

Still getting lots of noise from the harddrive/internal processes or whatever (I'm not that great with technical stuff, sorry)

I can still access F2 (setup) and F12 (boot menu). I tried in setup to reset everything to default, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I'm running diagnostics now... just waiting for the results. It passed the graphics test (the rainbow bars streaking across the screen either way)...

Okay its done and it seems like everything works, but when I try again, nothing happens, its back to that [bleep] cursor.

okay I'm not sure what specs you need, but I'll give you what I've got:

BIOS version: A09 (09/28/2005)
Processor type: Pentium M
Processor ID: 06D8
Memory technology: DDR2 SDRAM

DEvice Info:
Primary Hard Drive: 137 GB HDD
Modular Bay Device: DVD+/-RW

Video Controller: Intel 915GM Graphics
Video BIOS Version: 1219
Video Memory: 8 MB
Panel Type: 15.4" Wide XGA
Native Resolution: 1280 x 800

AUdio Controller: Sigmatel 9751
Modem controller: Conexant D110 MDC

------

Please help... I need that computer, I use it constantly for work and to communicate with family back home :):)

EDIT:

Okay I just tried rebooting it with the battery out, and the only thing that was different was before the cursor, is this gibberish:

♥(square)fâ|☺fü||(square)☻

(I had to put "(square)" cause i don't know how to make a little solid square, but that's what it was.)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks to go!

have you tried pressing F8 as soon as you see the Dell splash screen? This should bring up the 'Advanced Startup Options'. Highlight "Last known good configuration" with up/down arrow-keys and press [Enter]

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 07 April 2010 - 02:17 PM.

Alewiina

Alewiina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried that, and nothing happens :)

I've tried hitting it once, when the splash screen appears, I've tried hitting it over and over as the splash appears, and I've tried holding it down as I hit the power button, but none of it works. :)