Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does Win 7, have auto divice drive updates?

• Please log in to reply

mikew194

mikew194

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Gateway MX6421 and need a few drivers but can't find them.
I thought their was a tool to update the drives when you update from xp to win 7 from Microsoft but cant find it.

Mike :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Update.
Failing that all the drivers you need are on the Gateway website.

mikew194

mikew194

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry Mate!

But all I found was XP Drivers, I need windows 7 drivers most notably the sound and audio drivers.

Thanks

Mike :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Did your machine ship with XP? If so, they (Gateway) may have not provided 7 drivers and you would need to download the generic versions for your devices.

mikew194

mikew194

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes it came with XP, but Windows 7 is so fast, that I my live without the sound.

Mike

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What sound card is listed under the downloads for XP? If you know what card it is, I can get you a link for the Windows 7 drivers

Dark Sun

Dark Sun

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, windows 7 can update device drivers. Just do a right click your computer icon, then select "Manage". Then you will see a Computer Management window. Take a look at the left side and choose "Device Manager" line. Then, choose the device u wanna update driver, right click on it and choose Update driver. you also can choose the properties --> details --> update driver. good luck!

Edited by sari, 15 April 2010 - 04:34 PM.