Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bulletproof browsing

• Please log in to reply

imlac

imlac

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Of course it's always best to stay away from sites that could be the source of viruses and trojans etc. But if say, I was visiting a site I wasn't completely sure of, what settings would I need in Firefox for instance.

And apart from a firewall and spywareguard and Avast anti-virus, what would I need to have running to avoid all nasties, no matter where I clicked on the website. Or is it never possible to be 100% protected?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Or is it never possible to be 100% protected?

the only way to make sure your computer is 100% safe is to unplug it and bury it in the yard under 6 feet of concrete.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

the only way to make sure your computer is 100% safe is to unplug it and bury it in the yard under 6 feet of concrete.

:) But then it probably wouldn't work because of all the dirt in it o.O

You can use something called Sandboxie to sandbox your browser. It can be downloaded here. Every time you close your browser, all of the information in the sandbox is deleted, including any malware you may have picked up on the internet.

Edited by xblindx, 07 April 2010 - 02:49 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Or is it never possible to be 100% protected?

You'd need undersoil power and a really good wireless keyboard and house (and a long monitor cable) to use it like that. :)

An easier solution: There is no bulletproof browsing. Even SandboxIE admits on the FAQ page: Sandboxie may be your first line of defense, but it should certainly be complemented by the more traditional anti-virus and anti-malware solutions. These solutions can let you know if your system does become infected in any way.

Of course a totally rock-solid bulletproof solution is to simply not go online in the first place. Or find where Dr Who keeps his Tardis and go back to a time where you could go online without any need for protection software - anywhere before 1999 should do it.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"You'd need undersoil power and a really good wireless keyboard and house (and a long monitor cable) to use it like that".

You missed the point, Neil. I think dsenette was trying to tell us that the only way to be 100% safe is to not use your computer at all, and he's quite right. We can install all manner of protection utilities but we still won't be 100% safe while ever the PC is connected to the net.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 April 2010 - 02:03 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

"You'd need undersoil power and a really good wireless keyboard and house (and a long monitor cable) to use it like that".

You missed the point, Neil. I think dsenette was trying to tell us that the only way to be 100% safe is to not use your computer at all, and he's quite right. We can install all manner of protection utilities but we still won't be 100% safe while ever the PC is connected to the net.

I was being sarcastic.
Anyway I subscribe to the theory that one can go on-line without protection. Providing you don't click yes on every little box that comes up without reading it thoroughly first. Not that I recommend anybody does this by the way.