Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk boot problem

• Please log in to reply

rik138

rik138

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone,I just pulled a floppy out of my old computer and installed into my newer one. When I turn my computer on it tries too boot from the floppy. In the bios its set to boot from 1.cd/dvd 2. sata 3.removable 4. network. If I bring up the boot screen instead of the bios It says its booting the floppy first. In the boot screen if I select sata to boot first it still boots from the floppy. If I unplug the floppy it boots up windows. I tried plugging it in after windows booted but then windows doesn't detect the floppy drive. Windows vista 32bit home premium. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask when you turn the system on is the light on the front of the floppy drive staying on all the time?

rik138

rik138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah it was but I flipped the cable around to see if that would do the trick but i got the same result.

rik138

rik138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Let me ask when you turn the system on is the light on the front of the floppy drive staying on all the time?

Yeah it was but I flipped the cable around to see if that would do the trick but i got the same result.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then can you say the floppy drive worked in the old system just prior to you removing it and putting it in the new system?
Also can i ask why you are putting a floppy drive in a new system?
New systems now don't even have a floppy drive in them anymore and the newer motherboards will not even have the connector for them. :)

rik138

rik138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

OK then can you say the floppy drive worked in the old system just prior to you removing it and putting it in the new system?
Also can i ask why you are putting a floppy drive in a new system?
New systems now don't even have a floppy drive in them anymore and the newer motherboards will not even have the connector for them. :)

Well it's been a few years since I used this floppy drive but it did work before i got a new computer. As you could assume I am having trouble finding a new one at a store I just didn't want to wait for one to be shipped. I am trying to create a MS-Dos bootable disk. I am trying to format a hard drive to run on an Xbox 360 for a coworker. The system I am using is about 4 years old although I think the motherboard is the only original part on it now. So I happen to have an antique motherboard with new hardware.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try HERE for a new one.

rik138

rik138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so I broke down and ordered a new one. It still didn't work at first. What I ended up having to do is uninstall the driver and reinstall for Vista 32bit. Now I am able to run ancient programs. I'll say hello to 1989 for ya.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok so I broke down and ordered a new one. It still didn't work at first. What I ended up having to do is uninstall the driver and reinstall for Vista 32bit. Now I am able to run ancient programs. I'll say hello to 1989 for ya.

:) Great to hear and I hope it works for you now for a long time. I was just reading that floppy drives\disks will not be made by Sony anymore after this year so it looks like the death of the floppy disk is getting near. With the new motherboards not even having a floppy controller on them now it will become almost impossible to have one without ordering a special add on card for the controller.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)