Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Welcome Center Won't Go Away

• Please log in to reply

ecrofeht

ecrofeht

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey guys, i randomly encounter this on various vista machines..
I try unchecking the checkbox at the bottom of the welcome center, but upon logout/reboot, the stupid welcome center comes back. Usually this works...
I've also tried editing/removing the reg entry..
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run. Right clicked on WindowsWelcomeCenter and deleted. This key was recreated upon second reboot.
2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run. Right clicked on WindowsWelcomeCenter and changed the path to a - (hyphen). This key was recreated upon second reboot, with the path filled in again as if I never edited it.

I've also tried deleting the profile (and files) reboot, recreate profile, unchecking the box, the stupid thing still comes back.

it's weird because on the same machine/install it worked ok for a while, but then i had to blow away a profile and recreate it because i corrupted it, and then the problem showed up and wouldn't go away.

any ideas? Thanks.

oh vista home premium, so no gpedit (or the other msc, can't remember which one right now :) ), and doesn't show up in msconfig (on the user profile).
It works fine for the primary user account..

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Normally, either step should work.
Do you use Spybot?

ecrofeht

ecrofeht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ya, is that the culprit? it didn't happen b4 when i used spybot?

ecrofeht

ecrofeht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
so i tried disabling the service and the startup item that spybots uses in msconfig.
still same problem.. don't really wanna get rid of spybots, any suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, Spybot will prevent any computer changes, especially registry changes.
Spybot is rather a tool of the past, so you can uninstall it.
What I propose instead as antispyware tools:
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (trial version is fully functionable): http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition: http://www.superanti...m/download.html

ecrofeht

ecrofeht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ya, i was starting to think it was about time to retire spybot..
I had both malware and sas installed at one point b4 i did my reinstall, but didn't reinstall sas, cuz i had suspected that to be the cause of why i had to reinstall.
i can't actually recall what it was that happened tho, i think my reg got hosed.. (sorry been workin on too many machines this week, can't keep the issues straight :) )
i'll try uninstalling spybot and see what happens. thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK :)

ecrofeht

ecrofeht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
so i uninstalled spybot, same prob. then my retarded @$$ remembered that the account i'm workin on isn't admin. i can edit the reg fine after puttin it in admin and the welcome center's gone.
but i'm still vaguely curious as to why it started to begin with, it seems a lot of people have this problem but no real causes were ever found? and the regedit seems to be the only fix that works. I don't think it's spybots that caused it, cuz this started b4 i had installed any security apps other than default windows crap. oh wellz. Thanks B

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
All I can say....Windows glitches happen :)

ecrofeht

ecrofeht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
haha tell me about it. thanks B, issue resolved.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)