Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost V9

• Please log in to reply

frobisher57

frobisher57

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Pending the replacement of my hard drive, I used Ghost v9 to create a backup image on an external hard drive, expecting to see one large file at completion.

I find that there were multiple .v2i files created, one named C_drive.v2i and then another 7 named C_drive01.v2i through C_drive07.v2i. Each is 4.2GB roughly in size, the 07 file half that.

SO ... when I start looking at RESTORE, it wants me to select a file. Which one of these files do I select ???

The first file created? Then do the rest of the files automatically follow in sequence ?

Or do I select all the files at once and let the Restore program sort them out ??

Or do I select a file, let it restore and then select the next file ??

Or WHUT ???

I find no clues whatsoever in the manual or on the Symantec site, which I have found to be basically useless up to this point but then I'm a novice at searching KBs..

Rescue me !!

Thanks, all, anyone.

Advertisements

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is pretty much a standard procedure. Most compression software will split up the files at some point or another. This is done to simplify storage and distribution of said files. In your case, it seems Ghost is set to make DVD-size chunks of data. You can change this size somewhere in the settings.

NOTE: It is generally a good idea to check through ALL settings of any program you're going to use before doing anything with it, as the settings have been put there only because you might want to change them.

Now, just like with WinRAR or WinZIP or any other program that has this behaviour, the first file is the "master", or whatever you want to call it, and contains information about all the other files.

The short answer to your question is thus: Select C_drive.v2i.

PS. The reason "the 07 file" is half that size is because the program moves on to writing on the next file when a file has reached the maximum file size you provided (4.2GB), and when it's done, it stops writing. There is no reason to fill a file up with junk just to reach 4.2GB. If you did not enable compression, the sum of all the file sizes will be roughly equal to that of all the data on your C: drive.