Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound trouble

• Please log in to reply

adiopuck69

adiopuck69

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: hey some guy reformated my computer be cause it had viruses ....and now my sound is not working...wait i click on volume control is says there are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware......though yesterday...i started up my computer and i had nuthin on my screen when it booted up...cept the wallpaper...so i used this restore disk...and it did not work but for some reason i had sound? i then deleted everything wit the disk again and started from scratch...now i have no sound still.....

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you have a pci sound card or on board audio? Does the sound card show up in device manager?

adiopuck69

adiopuck69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
k i go to device manager and under sound, video and game controllers and it has audio codecs......legacy audio drivers....legacy video capture devices....media control devices....and video codecs..under system devices..i see pci bus...pci standard host cpu bridge...pci standard ISA bridge....no pci sound card..does that help any?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
what you describe sounds like you have on board audio. Do any of those devices have a yelllow ! next to them? Check the bios and make sure on board audio is enabled.

adiopuck69

adiopuck69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
5 objects in device manager have a yellow ! and a yellow ? overlapping...3 of those are sm bus controller...multimedio audio controller.....and video controller....i get sounds from the actual computer...like when i get an im nuthin through speakers but i hear a beep come from the computer

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
that yellow ! means the device is not working. You need to load the drivers for them.