Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No network connection

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I'm frustrated and trying to figure this out but can't. Yesterday my connection was fine but this morning I booted up and noticed that the internet was slow. I decided to restart both modem and router but after doing so I lost all connection. I restarted them about six times, including my time spent on the phone with the cable company, and only reconnected one time with a slow speed still. I was told I'd have a tech on the way and I went ahead and drove to the cable company and got a new modem, I've had them go back before and just wanted to see if this was the case this time. The guy spent about an hour here trying to figure it out before I offered to try plugging the ethernet cable into another computer and see what happened. The other computer, my netbook, worked and currently it works on my laptop also without issue and speedily. Also, currently the router is not connected, so I'm just dealing with the modem and computer. The computer that's having the problem is a Windows 7 computer, the netbook is WinXP, and the laptop is Vista, both netbook and laptop are working perfectly. No error messages it just doesn't appear to be getting a connection.

I haven't done anything to the computer since last night, I tried a system restore to no avail. I do notice there's been a Windows critical update when I went to do the system restore but I have no way of finding out what it was to see if maybe it somehow broke something....

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I have no idea why this worked or what changed the problem but it's working now and here's what I did.

I set up the network again, I plugged the modem back into the router and started up the netbook and laptop to see if they would connect wirelessly, both fired up, laptop auto connected and I had to have the netbook connect but both connect and could access the internet. I plugged in the ethernet cable to the desktop and started the computer up and the internet started working again. I'm not sure why... and I'm scared to restart to see if it'll still work... lol.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly happened or is it just a computer mystery?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
When you remove power from the PC, router, and modem, you must power them up in the following way:

Modem- wait until you see the correct LED sequence.

Router- wait until you see the correct LED sequence.

PC/laptop/game console

Also, swap ethernet cables end for end and ensure they are seated (you should hear a 'click') while the power is off.

The modem must first obtain a valid IP address using DHCP from your ISP. You can sometimes see this info by logging in to the modem at 192.168.100.xxx. Next, the router must obtain a valid IP address using DHCP from the cable modem. Finally, the PC must obtain a valid IP address beginning with 192.168. or 10. or less commonly 172.16.from the router.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I did that, many times over. For whatever reason it just was not obtaining an IP from the modem but all my other computers would when I direct connected them to just the modem. Then I reconnected the router and it seems like it was preventing the router from giving out the laptop and netbook an IP because those didn't connect until I disconnected the desktop. I honestly don't understand the mess at all or why it wasn't getting an IP, but its fixed, I'm happy :)