Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Workstation Optimizer can't clean uninstall

• Please log in to reply

philly777

philly777

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I installed a program called Workstation Optimizer that has various functions (defrag, malware scans, etc...). After rebooting, the program ran a defrag during startup. It did this everytime I booted, so I uninstalled the program.

However, now I get an error on startup saying that it cannot run defrag because it cannot find the Workstation Optimizer file. It still boots up normally after a few seconds, but I would like to get rid of this error.

I deleted all "Workstation Optimizer" entries from the registry, and do not have any scheduled tasks.

How can I stop the computer from attempting to do a Workstation Optimizer defrag every startup?

I've used Revo Uninstaller, Your Uninstaller, CCleaner. Nothing seems to help. Checked the Regedit and deleted Workstation folders but still problem persist. Please HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Have you checked the "Startup" list in Ccleaner?
Open Ccleaner, click "Tools" then "Startup".
It shows a list of all items that are set to start everytime Windows starts, including those items that you've already disabled with Ccleaner.
From here you can 'disable' or 'remove' an item you don't want to start with Windows simply by right-clicking it and choosing 'Disable' or 'Delete'.

Have a look carefully in the list for anything that refers to Workstation Optimiser then right-click it and choose 'disable'.

Reboot. If that error no longer appears, you can go back into Ccleaner and delete that item from the startup list (the reason I advise you to only disable it initially before deleting it is just for safety in case you might delete the wrong item, in which case you can easily re-enable it).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 April 2010 - 08:49 AM.

philly777

philly777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you checked the "Startup" list in Ccleaner?
Open Ccleaner, click "Tools" then "Startup".
It shows a list of all items that are set to start everytime Windows starts, including those items that you've already disabled with Ccleaner.
From here you can 'disable' or 'remove' an item you don't want to start with Windows simply by right-clicking it and choosing 'Disable' or 'Delete'.

Have a look carefully in the list for anything that refers to Workstation Optimiser then right-click it and choose 'disable'.

Reboot. If that error no longer appears, you can go back into Ccleaner and delete that item from the startup list (the reason I advise you to only disable it initially before deleting it is just for safety in case you might delete the wrong item, in which case you can easily re-enable it).

Hi, thanks for response. No, it doesn't even shown in Startup...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them they are still available to use...

philly777

philly777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are we to assume it worked...if so your welcome... :)