Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\windows\system32\iertutil.dll is not a valid windows

• Please log in to reply

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

Computer with problem is unusable, working from another PC with full capability; hope to be able to pass needed files from this PC to the sick one via USB/thumbdrive or CDs

I looked at your recommended files and tools to download and install to desktop (can't do that to the PC right now) but have them all on a CD and ready to go if directed. Since I cannot really get into windows I don't know how to run the files you recommended.

Computer begins what appears to be a normal boot; then just hangs up at the desktop and shows
"The application or DLL C:\windows\system32\iertutil.dll is not a valid windows image; check against your install diskette" There are NO icons on the screen, just the background picture appears and nothing else.

I am able to ctrl-alt-del from the background screen and see the taskmanger window and do some functions within like start a new task or enter a command. This is only partially true in that when I try to start a task it will throw additional faults as indicated below

It also has indicated
Explorer.exe-bad image
error loading newdev.dll
%1 is not a valid win32 application

I was able to enter in SAFE mode but the results were basically the same. very little functionality and the dll faults.

The system currently has no internet capability, I cannot see what is going on, only the fault codes it gives in windows warnings.

Would greatly appreciate some help.

v/r

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Try running

sfc /scannow

from your Task Manager, File, NewTask (Run). (SPACE after sfc)

You can also try a system Restore:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Ron

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron,
thanks for the response. I did run the sfc /scannow (think I saw that rooting around in other threads) and if I recall it threw the same dll and image faults.

I am on the road and will try it again when I return giving a better response with actual facts and will try the sys restore as well.

Hope to have words to you on Thursday or Friday.

Hank

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron,
Tried the sfc /scannow and the system restore from Safe Mode and both yielded the same faults as indicated in my original e-mail.

"The application or DLL C:\windows\system32\iertutil.dll is not a valid windows image; check against your install diskette" In a warning window titles rstrui.exe-Bad Image.

What is your next suggestion?

v/r
Hank

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
From Safe Mode Command Prompt:

regedit

(Does it fail? If so try:

copy \windows\regedit.exe \windows\regedit.com

then type

regedit.com

Do you get the registry editor?)

Since you have another PC can you burn a bootable CD? Try Avira's Rescue Disk:

http://techblog.avir...-the-rescue/en/

Ron

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron,
The regedit worked, I can see the registry editor. I will burn an Avira bootable/rescue CD now.

Hank

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Since regedit works:

see: http://www.raymond.c...ing-in-windows/

The page explains how to use it to fix a no logon condition. In your case it might be winlogon too but if userinit looks normal then check the value of shell which should be explorer.exe.

Then check [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]
(Default) should be exefile
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe] should be the same.

Also check these:

HKLM, Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\open\command
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command

Each should have a value of
"%1" %*

Ron

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron,
should I even attempt to run the Rescue CD? Or best to try the regedit path first?

If it is the regedit solution I will save that for tomorrow after some sleep.

THanks
Hank

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
if you have the CD ready I'd let it run all night or however long it takes. If it doesn't find anything then we can edit the registry when you are fresh. (Got to be awake when you mess with the registry!)

Ron

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron,
the Avira launches but never gets beyond the "load modules". My Techie son had me try an AVG Rescue CD when all this started and it ran fine but found nothing.

I will let the Avira churn while I get dinner together and see what it looks like after a few hours. Then I will tackle the link to the Raymondcc Blog

THanks

Advertisements

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Avira Antivir rescue CD ran;

Ron,
it gave warnings but did not clean or flag any as viruses. I can't copy and paste so will try and replicate them here

Warnings are:

checking the master boot record for drive 128
error (22): cannot read record
checking the master boot record for drive 129
error (2): cannot read record
--> WindowsXP-KB922129-v6-x86-ENU.exe extract error (All files in archive are encrypted.)
WARNING: archive not completely scanne: contents encrypted
--> /350011_ENU_i386_zip.exe
WARNING: archive not completely scanned: contents encrypted
error: could not open file for read access
file was not scanned at all

I curtailed the path to the exe files that threw warnings and there is no identification on the last 4 errors? Just what it says as indicated above.

THoughts
Hank

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron,
I went to the link http://www.raymond.c...ing-in-windows/

and followed the path at step 5., did step 6. and when I hit enter I get "cannot Load C:\Windows\system32\config\software: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Grrrr?
Thoughts
Hank

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Did you do the Ultimate CD or the PC Regedit one (bottom half of page)? I meant for you to do the PC Regedit one.

Ron

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did the top half so I will go burn the cd and do the bottom half with the PC regedit instructions

F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ron, ran the PC Regedit as instructed all the way to step 6 and the userinit file reads exactly as in the instructions in the link. Looks good

Am I to root around in the other 6 registry files listed below step 6?

Hank