Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"new" PC

• Please log in to reply

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have a PC with Intel t4300 processors. I was wondering what architecture it falls under. I am curious to read about assembly language regarding this processor.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Penryn... (about 3 years old)

Source: Blogs.Intel.com

Penryn

posted by Dileep Bhandarkar on April 16, 2007

...Penryn is the code name for Intel’s Next Generation Intel® Core™ 2 Family processor microarchitecture. It is also the name of the industry’s first 45 nm microprocessor. It is an improvement on the Core Microarchitecture introduced last year. It delivers more performance at the same clock speed compared to our Core 2 Duo processors. It is a dual core product with a shared 6 MB L2 cache...

Intel® Pentium® Processor T4300 (1M Cache, 2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) <----Specs

Just Google anything more you want to know and it will tell you, I promise. :)

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I googled it after reading your reply. For the most part the internet seems to have attained the ability to beat around the bush 0.0. It provided a lot of links to various programming languages from the stone age (which from what I understand still have viable relevance in the business world; besides the point), but there were no links that said: "Assembly Language".
So, I didn't find anything useful except one link: Using Assembly Language in Linux which is almost like a sign because I was going to remove Windows 7 from this machine and build LFS on it; of course I have to make sure there are drivers available for the hardware as I do not have the knowledge to build them myself.
Naturally you might see why I am interested in Assembly Langauge merely based on that statement.

I have found books on the topic, intro to and such; however, my understanding is that Assembly Language is specific to a processor in as many cases (or all) as not. So now you can see I am an amateur (like you didn't already know).

I did purchase a book on networking which has some references to Assembly Language! And it is quite useful in making me understand (to the extent I am keeping up) the Assembly Language role in computing. It is based on smart phones though so I'm unsure of its relevance and although I got a Hex Editor to be able to view files which before were not accessible (as I didn't know how to open them), obviously I don't want to mess around if I'm unsure of what the references for the language are going to correlate on this machine specifically.

I've looked at the owners' manuals from old computers and glanced through the one that came with this machine, and like I felt about Microsoft Windows when I read books on the topic, it just doesn't have the information I'm searching for; I've been told it has much ado to the auditing and censorship statutes in place to date but I can't delve into law and computing at the same time when I'm already juggling psychology.

So, I apologize for the lengthy reply; but whether it just be that searching Google is not as simple as "searching Google" or I'm searching for too broad of a topic (which I did specify the architecture of the PC and the processor model) I'm unsure.

Perhaps I might ask if you or anyone on the forums is aware of a website that might point me in a good direction for learning Assembly Language or for purchasing Assembly Language materials and tools.

My specific interest does lie in this particular machine, as where you might upgrade one PC year after year I find that no matter how non-cool a PC has become it still has a good use (even if that's just to "rip it apart")!

Thanks again for your answers.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I don't even know what assembly language is. :) You're talking way over my head now. That sounds more like software and such. I think a program called CPU-Z will tell you what instruction code it handles. Is that what you mean? i.e. MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EMT64T

Other than that, I have no idea. :)

EDIT: And I wonder if what you are looking for isn't published because if it were then other companies could just copy all of Intel's hard work, huh? Not sure...

Edited by Ferrari, 11 April 2010 - 06:30 PM.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, my days of programing with assembly language ( arm3 risc ) have long gone. Your proc. uses MMX instuction set. Some links for you....

http://www.cpu-world...77GG0451MA.html

http://heather.cs.uc...uxAssembly.html

you could google...mmx assembly language... and see what gives

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
deggit with the save! :) Nice!

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Well THANK YOU ferrari. :)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
googled..

http://webster.cs.uc...ructionSet.html

happy hunting :)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
intel 80x86 instruction set....

http://webster.cs.uc...ructionSet.html

lok down the page for free compilers

http://www.thefreeco...ssemblers.shtml

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Also a good bedtime read !! ( a must read )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86