Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete ~.tmp or change attribs

• Please log in to reply

Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to help a friend here. She is running WinXP SP2 with a partitioned drive. On D:\My Pictures she has numerous folders with photos. In a few of these folders there will be (as an example) a photo named Daffs 004.jpg which shows normally. Right beside it there is another item named Daffs 004.jpg~RF36Q05457.TMP. I wish to remove all files similar to the latter one. It will not permit me to delete it. If I select Properties and uncheck Archive, Apply, OK I still cannot delete it. I tried going to the Command prompt, going into that directory and using Attrib -a on these files, but am denied access. I also tried Attrib -a *.tmp and Attrib -a ~.tmp and still am denied access. I ran Disk Cleaner in Tweak Now 2010 and still no joy. Any ideas on what else I might try?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I tried going to the Command prompt, going into that directory and using Attrib -a on these files, but am denied access. I also tried Attrib -a *.tmp and Attrib -a ~.tmp and still am denied access.

Go back into that directory and try the following two commands, pressing [Enter] after each:

attrib -r -s -h *.tmp
del *.tmp

The "-r" means remove the "Read-only" attribute, the "-s" means remove the "System" attribute, the "-h" means remove the "Hidden" attribute and the "*.tmp" means all files with a ".tmp" file extension.

(Note: If you have Windows Explorer open and it still shows the *.tmp files in that directory, press [F5] to refresh).

Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The r, s and h attributes were not set on these files. Doing an attrib on them showed only an A as being set. Same when I selected any of those files and chose Properties; the Hidden and Read-only were not set. However, in pursuit of a solution, I shall try those -r, -s and -h and see if it changes matters. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Nodrogchavez, 11 April 2010 - 09:56 AM.

Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
V-e-r-y interesting. My friend changed all of her photos to Adobe Photoshop format, and was then able to easily delete all of those ~.tpm files. Why? I have no idea. But, consider this problem as having been resolved.