Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused about 8800 gts 320 clock speeds

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I originally posted this on another forum a week ago and after almost 80 views and no replies I figured I'd bring it here (where I have recieved so much help :))

Hi guys,
I have an 320 mb 8800 gts and am looking to pick up another one for a future sli build, problem is I can't find a card with the same clocks. I'm not even sure if it would matter, but all the cards i can find are listed like :

320 MB Graphics Processor / Vendor: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Clock Speed: 400 MHz
Memory Clock Speed: 500 MHz
Clock Speed: 500 MHz

my clock speeds are:

core = 555
shader = 1300
memory = 825

I have never over clocked this card so whats the deal with the faster speeds on my card? I am a complete noob when it comes to these things so go easy on me !

just seen this on Nvidias website:

http://www.nvidia.co...e/geforce8.html

core = 500
shader = 1200
memory = 800

again whats the difference with my card and these?

Once again thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Who's the maker of your card? Nvidia is only the maker of the GPU. Many card makers use the same GPU, but then populate the card with their own RAM, devices, and configurations.

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
oops...sorry was on the evga forums didnt think about adding the card manafactuer here lol
'
its an EVGA 8800 gts 320 mb

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
This is what the EVGA tech support said about my EVGA 9800 GT Superclocked:

You would need to use another 9800 GT card it doesn’t need to be Superclocked but it does need to have the same memory. Please keep in mind that you cannot use a 9800 GTX because it is a different chipset. Also please keep in mind that you need to ensure that the power supply is strong enough for both of these cards and that your motherboard supports SLI as it should have included a bridge for SLI. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Notice that he said the 2nd GPU has to have the same memory.

Edited by Axelion, 11 April 2010 - 05:56 PM.

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Notice that he said the 2nd GPU has to have the same memory.

same memory, as in chip set?

ive seen the 8800 gts 320's offered with a g80 and g92 chipset...how can i tell the difference? Would this difference be causing the different speeds shown on my card?

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Your 8800 GTS card has 320MB which uses g80 chipset. The 512MB version of 8800 GTS uses g92 chipset.
The memory type and interface have to be the same. Your card has GDDR3 memory type and 320 bit memory interface.

Also the second card doesn't have to be the same brand as long it's the same model and chipset. You can browse ebay and find the same card model as yours.

Edited by Axelion, 12 April 2010 - 12:22 PM.