Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems building a new computer

• Please log in to reply

Stackage

Stackage

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys I just needed some help I'm building a computer right now and i didnt realize my motherboard had a 24 pin power supply connection from what i here its safe to use the 20 pin connection and it should work fine. The problem is that the mother board is getting power but the HD LED is the only one that lights up on my case and its on before the HD is even spinning maybe I set the LED's wrong or something? and the front power switch is not actually turning the computer on... this is my first complete build any help is good thanks!

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
There are those that will tell you how to run a 24 pin socket with a 20 pin ATX header but I'm not going to be one of them. Get an adapter or replace your power supply. You've got too big of an investment to play games here by going "tightwad" on yourself now.

As to your pinouts from the case, recheck them but this could well be a function of what you're trying with a 20 pin connector tied into a 24 pin socket. You can actually pull all of your case leads and bridge the power switch pins on the board with a screwdriver to start your machine. Remember, they connect to a momentary switch so you don't need to bridge the pins for more than a brief second.

Good Luck & Regards.
:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 20 May 2005 - 08:59 PM.

Stackage

Stackage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well i still can't seem to get it running the mobo wouldn't get power at all if it was bad right? so that should be ok...umm but is there a way i can by pass using the buttons on the case to possibly turn it on? could this be the problem? intel even says the PSU's are backward compatable...i'm going to get the cord tomorrow but i want to know if its working or not b4 i put more into it...

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
This link compliments of audioboy from another thread. (I just did what I wasn't going to do but you use this entirely at your own risk.)

As to your most recent question - what I posted earlier ......

You can actually pull all of your case leads and bridge the power switch pins on the board with a screwdriver to start your machine. Remember, they connect to a momentary switch so you don't need to bridge the pins for more than a brief second.

note - pull was intended to mean remove or disconnect

edit: I guess I should be more specific just in case this is new turf for you. Locate the two pins for the power switch in the bank of switch and led connectors that you have your case wires (power, reset, hdd led & pwr led) connected to. You can disconnect all of those wires and use a flat bladed screwdriver to make momentary contact by touching both at the same time for a very brief second. That will start your machine if all else is correctly setup.

;)

Edited by Rockster2U, 20 May 2005 - 10:51 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hey, dont blame me for your lack of integrity! :tazz: I would tend to agree with your opinion on dont go cheap- especially since the PSU is the heart of the system!

I only brought that up since someone was kind enuf to post it in another thread about power supplies, and it seemed appropriate for this one. gonna hafta go read up more on this sometime...

Edited by audioboy, 20 May 2005 - 10:54 PM.

Stackage

Stackage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I got it running with the screw driver and now the keyboard doesnt want to work... the mouse seems to keep power just fine but kinda needing the keyboard a bit more in the DOS based startup stuff...

Stackage

Stackage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok so the problem there is the computer is freezing...maybe since i have duel channle ram i should put a 512 is one side and a 512 in the other? one thing leads to another...lol

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you running intel or AMD?
I ask since I dont know a lot about the particular settings for AMD chips, so I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction...

dual channel ram usually needs to be loaded in the correct slots (paired up) to run in full dual channel mode. if not in the correct slots (which depends on the mobo), they will still run, but in single channel mode.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Sorry to be slow responding and yes, you're going to need to do that but its doubtful that this is the cause of a freeze where you are currently at. Rather than wasting time now before you get your power situation squared away, why don't we just wait and tackle this once you have that 20/24 pin connection squared away.

Regards,

Stackage

Stackage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It was the duel channel memory that was causing the problems and when i took a second look at exatctally what pins i was touching with the screw driver i got the buttons to all work...hehe funny mistake but at least i didnt fry my processor or something!! thanks a ton guys the comp is running kick butt like now :tazz: toodles and good luck sloving all these computer problems!

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

It was the duel channel memory that was causing the problems and when i took a second look at exatctally what pins i was touching with the screw driver i got the buttons to all work...hehe funny mistake but at least i didnt fry my processor or something!! thanks a ton guys the comp is running kick butt like now  ;)  toodles and good luck sloving all these computer problems!

View Post

Your memory was preventing your computer to start? First I'd ever heard of it. Usually you hear beeps when there is a hardware problem (1 repeating long beep when you have a memory issue), but at least the computer would start. Maybe I am misunderstanding something. :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

Your memory was preventing your computer to start? First I'd ever heard of it.

Consider yourself fortunate - its not uncommon.

Edited by Rockster2U, 25 May 2005 - 10:01 PM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Is it? One time I remember starting my computer while changing around different memory sticks, and during the process I hit the power button with NO memory sticks. It didn't show anything on the screen, never got to BIOS, but it still started up and beeped at me alot.

So, I assumed that when you have everything else working except for memory, then it will still power up and then beep at you. Hence, it's the first I've heard of it...