Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen at startup after installing software update - Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Jordo

Jordo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Today I was researching online about a separate problem I was having with my laptop (HP G60). Recently I haven't been able to adjust the screen brightness in the power options, so I took to the internet and found other people with the same problem saying to install a recent windows update of the "Intel Corporation - Display - Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family" software. I checked my Windows Update and found said software update and proceeded to install it.

After installing, the computer rebooted and upon startup (before the windows logon screen shows up) the screen went black. "Black" as in the screen was totally shut off, as if it was in sleep mode. The system was still running however, since the power/hard drive activity lights were still on.

I did do a system restore of course and this was successful in bringing back the screen. However, I don't understand why this is happening? I need the update so I can adjust my screen brightness, but by doing so my screen doesn't work at all. I figured a windows update wouldn't cause such a problem?

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Jordo, 11 April 2010 - 09:56 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Any drivers you install for an HP laptop (except for external devices) should be downloaded from the HP website and nowhere else. If you got that driver from a different source it may not have been the right one for your laptop's hardware, hence the black screen.

Jordo

Jordo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's understandable. I went ahead and downloaded the graphics driver off of HP's site. Although there was no black screen issue, I still couldn't adjust my screen brightness.

I then went to Intel's site and used their driver update utility to see what it would find. It showed that I still had an older driver version and that there was a newer version available for download.

I went ahead and downloaded/installed the recommended driver. That action produced the same black screen issue as before.

Current Driver:
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
version: 8.15.10.1855

Newer Driver Available:
15.17.3.64.2104 (8.15.10.2104)

Currently, as I typed this message, my screen has gone very dim. I'm guessing this is definitely a driver problem, but fixing it is proving difficult...

Any ideas?