Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading a new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi,

I have a very old computer, it runs well but it doesn't support high resolution monitors; so I'm thinking maybe if I put in a good graphics card, my problem will be solved? I don't play games on this computer by the way. If the problem can be solved with a new graphic card, then can you suggest me which card I should go with? Thanks.

I used SIW to scan my motherboard's specs and got this:

Manufacturer
Model P4M800CE-8237
Version
Serial Number

North Bridge VIA P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800/CN700 Revision 00
South Bridge VIA VT8237 Revision 00

CPU Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.70GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 478 mPGA

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

---------------

Advertisements

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
That's a pretty old motherboard. I should say that it's time for upgrade.
As for graphic card, you need a graphic card that uses AGP Slot

I recommend this graphic card from EVGA that will fulfill your basic needs:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130210

You need to have a minimum 250 watts power supply. If you don't know how many watts your power supply has, just pop the side of your desktop and look at the label on the power suplly.

Edited by Axelion, 12 April 2010 - 03:09 AM.

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for helping out.

I'm at school right now so I'll check my power unit when I get home. I remember my motherboard has an orange slot, is that where i would plug the graphics card you suggested onto?

And, will this card be compatible with my motherboard? I just want to minimize the cost as low as possible.
http://www.computerl...p;product_ID=21

One last question, what could be upgraded for this old motherboard so that I can run Windows 7 on it? thanks.

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
You're welcome :)

Here's a picture example of AGP Slot:
http://www.vposters....Motherboard.jpg

The video card that you linked is Nvidia 8400 GS that uses PCI-Express x16 Slot which your motherboard doesn't have. Only newer motherboard has it.

If you want to upgrade to windows 7, it's really recommended to upgrade your memory ram to your motherboard maximum supported memory which is 2gb DDR 400 or 333 mhz. You also need to replace your IDE hard drive to SATA hard drive which is much faster. Since your motherboard doesn't have SATA slot on it, you need to purchase a SATA controller card that uses PCI interface.

I still think that it's time to move onto new motherboard so you can put better peripherals in it :)

Edited by Axelion, 12 April 2010 - 12:36 PM.

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have already upgraded the memory to 2GB DDR2. I'm just worried that when I install windows 7, the windows won't be able to recognize some drivers that's all.

Ooh, in the picture above, the AGP slot is in green, but mine is in orange, are they the same? I'm just making sure :)

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I have already upgraded the memory to 2GB DDR2. I'm just worried that when I install windows 7, the windows won't be able to recognize some drivers that's all.

Ooh, in the picture above, the AGP slot is in green, but mine is in orange, are they the same? I'm just making sure :)

They're the same. Each motherboard has its own distinctive slot color :)