Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop with a wierd problem

• Please log in to reply

Hpasaur

Hpasaur

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got a packard bell laptop at the moment, that's got me kind of stumped.

1st of all the motherboard died, so we replaced that.
Next the DC jack socket on the sister board got damaged, so no sweat, we replaced that. Unfortunately the machine doesn't turn on at all, no life no nothing. I've checked round the board and I can see voltage there.

Now here's the wierd thing, after a lot of playing around, I removed the bios battery, gave it a few seconds to discharge then plugged it back in, I then plugged in the mains supply and all of a sudden the machine fired up, booted into windows no problem. :)
I shut down windows and then I'm back to square 1, machine won't turn on again, until I repeat the same steps.

Any1 got a vague idea as to what I can do next or what's causing this? :)

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
usually you pull the bios batt. and then hold down power button for about 5 secs, to discharge any residual voltage and then replace batt. abouy 5 mins. later ( if the batt. is any good )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a dead battery to me. Replacement is about $5.00 USD.
Depending on the age of the laptop I would say this could be the issue.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi RSHAFFER61 :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Hpasaur ... :) ..:)

since you replaced the mobo you will have to repair xp...
To accustom Windows XP to your new hardware, you now need to perform a Windows XP repair install, which redetects all hardware and reinstalls system files without touching the registry or user data present on the system. This process adapts your Windows XP install to the new motherboard it is running on

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

Edited by happyrock, 12 April 2010 - 08:29 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One question is the motherboard you replaced the same as the new one?

Hpasaur

Hpasaur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all the replies :)

I'll kept battling away with it and in the end I found the problem, as unlikely as it was.
When I plugged in a little PCB board which basically had only a few LED's on it, the machine started working perfectly, take it off and the fault returns. :)

Was a real curve ball, since I thought such a small usless board was non-essential, so it would have been the last thing I reconnected when I had a fault.
Still, live and learn, problem solved.
Thanks for all the help :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what do you mean by...

When I plugged in a little PCB board which basically had only a few LED's on it

Hpasaur

Hpasaur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Basically I had the laptop down to it's guts, just the motherboard, RAM and processor.
The little PCB with LED's on, it's pretty much what I said, the LED's are used to illuminate icons on the casing, Wifi, bluetooth etc.

The problem went away when I reconnected the little board back onto the motherboard, was connected by a fly lead.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that little piece of info would have been nice in your first post