Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ConvertXtoDVD or dvd drive?, my dvd player cant read a dvd i burnt wit

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I'm not sure what is going on. I just got a new computer with Windows7 on it and decided to burn some home video (in .avi) format to a format that is readable by a DVD player. Since I got the new computer I've done this a number of times and the first few worked just fine. However, now the DVD player won't read them while the PC does. I normally just use ConvertXtoDVD to convert AND burn.

I have tried 5 different brands of DVDs thinking that might be the problem.

I have also Converted the files with ConvertXtoDVD and tried burning them with other burn programs.

I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. You also can't see any 'burn marks' on the burn side and that has me concerned.

Gateway says it's not a problem that is covered by my 3 year warranty ... wow ... last Gateway I buy.

Can anyone help me?

dog

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Maybe your standalone player has some problems.
Try free DVDFlick: http://www.dvdflick.net/ to burn your movie and see, if same thing happens.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay ... I was able to burn 2 movies to the same disk ... and they play on my DVD player ...

However, I have to fast forward through the first movie to get to the second ... this might take a bit of getting used to.

As to ConvertXtoDVD ... do you think it might be an issue with Win7? ( I only ask because I'm so much more familiar with how to use it ).

dog

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very good :)

I'm not sure about ConvertXtoDVD on Win 7.
I use the program too, on Vista and I think it's the best burning program, I ever had. Works fine on my computer.
Did you try to reinstall it?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I have ConvertXtoDVD on my Vista and my XP ... but I did not try to 'convert and burn' on the Vista ... I converted on the Win7 and then tried to burn it on the Vista (to save time) and that didn't work either.

I will try to 'convert and burn' on the Vista and see if that works. In the meantime I'll try reinstalling it on the Win7. I don't understand what happened though ... it was working when I first put it on the Win7.

Thanks Broni, for your help ... it's greatly appreciated.

dog

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)
Vista and 7 are very similar OSes, so usually, what works on Vista, works on 7.
Hopefully, reinstallation will help.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I just tried 'convert AND burn' on the Vista machine and the disk works fine in my DVD player. Now I'm going to try to re-install on 7. Thanks Again!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)
Keep me posted :)

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Uninstalled and Reinstalled ConvertXtoDVD on Win7 and now it works ... or at least it did the first time. If anything else changes, I'll let you know.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news :)

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
only until it happens again ... I'm not sure if it was because of the Windows Automatic Update or not.

Good News though for now!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Knock on wood, first :)

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
knock, knock! :))

Theonegrey

Theonegrey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thought I would jump in on this topic as I am having a very similar problem, Mine Burns the movies and I can see the burn marks but I have tried 2 or 3 different players and they will not play anywere but the computer! I read all of this thread and tried all the advice you gave but none of it is working.
I have checked all my settings and they seem to be correct. Any other tips you all may have would be welcome.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What is your DVD Player standard?

For example some areas especially the states run on NTSC.

The UK runs on PAL.

France runs on SECAM.

Did you set the DVD Specification to your area?

DVD.shf.png