Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hewlett Packard Recovery Error

• Please log in to reply

Braind

Braind

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
I have a Hewlett Packard XP Media Center (Model m385c).

I need to do what HP calls a destructive recovery (basically a reformat and reinstall).
Unfortunately, when I get in to the recovery function, instead of getting the Recovery Welcome screen that asks me if I want to continue the Recovery process, I get a screen that says:

"File \minint\System 32\vgaoem.fon could not be loaded

The error code is 14

Set up cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

When I hit any key, my PC goes into a regular boot up.

I do have a newer version on a disc of XP Media Center that I can install on my PC, but I am unable to get in to the Recovery function to do anything at all.

HP has a recovery function that one needs to get to before you can do a reformat and reinstall. This error is preventing me from doing any kind of reformat and reinstall on my HP PC.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Braind,

Do you still have warranty on this PC?
If so, you could contact HP about this specific issue.

I personally never used a specific brand, so I am not sure how to deal with this myself.

Regards,
Olrik

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi! Braind,

I have a simple resolution for you. As you mentioned that you have an XP CD with you. You need to replace Vgaoem.fon file with the help of steps given below, so that you will be able to go to the recovery screen for your system recovery.

To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract the Vgaoem.fon file from the Windows XP compact disc to the Windows\System folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

# - Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

# - Insert the Windows XP compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

# - When the Press any key to boot from CD dialog box is displayed, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP compact disc.

# - When the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

# - When you are prompted, type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

# - At the command prompt, type map, and then press ENTER.

Note the drive letter assigned to the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc. It is displayed in a format similar to the following:
D: \Device\CdRom0

# - Type the following line, and then press ENTER (where CD-ROM drive is the letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc, and drive is the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed):
expand CD-ROM drive:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ drive:\windows\system

For example, type the following:
expand d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system
Note the underscore character after the "o" in "Vgaoem.fo_".

You receive the following message:
Vgaoem.fo_
1 file(s) expanded.

# - Type exit.

The computer restarts.

# - Remove the Windows XP compact disc from the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then start the computer normally.

Referral Links -
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=315338
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: Mohammad Ashraf Dar
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
just some added info

From HP site
Error: vgaoem.fon Is Missing or Corrupt

http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07145

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Hello Braind,

Do you still have warranty on this PC?
If so, you could contact HP about this specific issue.

I personally never used a specific brand, so I am not sure how to deal with this myself.

Regards,
Olrik

My PC was bought in Nov. 2003, so the warranty has expired long ago.

Thanks,
Braind

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

just some added info

From HP site
Error: vgaoem.fon Is Missing or Corrupt

http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07145

Unfortunately, these directions form HP did not work. When I am in Step 2 of this HP vgaoem.fon is missing/corrupt process, the instruction that is listed as #1, where X is the main driver, I can not proceed any farther. This is because I don't have X show up as one of my driver choices. I only have C and D as driver choices. I tried to work my way through this process any way, substituting C for X, but that didn't work.

Edited by Braind, 13 April 2010 - 10:12 PM.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Hello Mohammad Ashraf Dar,

Unfortunately, this does not work. I will go through your steps and let you know where it stopped working:

To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract the Vgaoem.fon file from the Windows XP compact disc to the Windows\System folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

# - Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

Done and this worked.

# - Insert the Windows XP compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

Done and this worked.

# - When the Press any key to boot from CD dialog box is displayed, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP compact disc.

Done and this worked.

# - When the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

Done and this worked.

# - When you are prompted, type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

No prompt like this came up, so I just pressed ENTER and this worked.

A different command prompt came up and gave me only these choices:

1: H:\MiniNT
2: H:\I386
3: C:\WINDOWS
Which Windows installation would you like to log into (To cancel, press ENTER)?

Thus I could not go any further with your instructions.

I did notice that my 2005 XP Media Center did have something called “Automated System Recovery” as one of the choices after it rebooted.
Should I try this? Would the Automated System Recovery reformat the hard drive AND reinstall XP media Center?

Edited by Braind, 13 April 2010 - 10:54 PM.

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi! Braind,

No prompt like this came up, so I just pressed ENTER and this worked.

If you didn't get this prompt, it is because you had not set Administrator Password on your machine. You should simply skip this step as you have done.

Next step is:

If you didn't get this also, skip this instead you get the below mentioned options.

1: H:\MiniNT
2: H:\I386
3: C:\WINDOWS
Which Windows installation would you like to log into (To cancel, press ENTER)?

Please type "3" and continue.
Now you see command prompt, please type "cd\" and press enter.

# - Type the following line, and then press ENTER (where CD-ROM drive is the letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc, and drive is the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed):
expand CD-ROM drive:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ drive:\windows\system

For example, type the following:
expand d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system
Note the underscore character after the "o" in "Vgaoem.fo_".

You receive the following message:
Vgaoem.fo_
1 file(s) expanded.

# - Type exit.

The computer restarts.

# - Remove the Windows XP compact disc from the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then start the computer normally.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Hi Mohammad Ashraf Dar,

The last instructions worked....to a point. I received the message that the vgaoem.fo_ was expanded.

Unfortunately, when I get in to the recovery function, instead of getting the Recovery Welcome screen that asks me if I want to continue the Recovery process, I get a screen that says:

"File \minint\System 32\vgaoem.fon could not be loaded

The error code is 14

Set up cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

When I hit any key, my PC goes into a regular boot up.

So the file was expanded successfully, but the original problem still remains.
Why do you think this problem still remains?

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
1.) I successfully did a reformat and reinstall on my PC. Thus my PC now has XP Media Center version 2002 on it. I have the discs for XP Media Center version 2005 and I want to upgrade my 2002 for the 2005. I only want the XP media Center 2005 on my PC and NOT the 2002.

How do I do this?

2.) Also, since the reformat and reinstall, my browser (Firefox), the view on my monitor is too large and the right side of whatever I bring up on my PC, when using Firefox, gets cut off.
How did I fix this?

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
I have resolved the Firefox issue.

I have the discs for XP Media Center version 2005 and I want to upgrade my 2002 for the 2005. I only want the XP media Center 2005 on my PC and NOT the 2002.

How do I do this?