Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Boots to Windows Advanced Option Menu

• Please log in to reply

JimmyJoeBob

JimmyJoeBob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anybody know why a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC would automatically boot to the "Windows Advanced Option Menu" on every boot (displays no error messages) instead of going to either the "Welcome Screen" or the "Desktop". Once I reach the above Menu, I can select "Boot Normally" (or some such words) and go on to the Desktop. I'd just like to know what conditions would cause a PC to do this rather annoying action. Bye.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not sure....look for c:\msdos.sys (hidden file, so set windows to display them in TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW....

Open it in NOTEPAD....does it say bootmenu=1?

(this is an old windows 9x function that I haven't thought about in years.)

JimmyJoeBob

JimmyJoeBob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Boy, you hit the nail on the head. It did contain the following two lines:

[Options]
bootmenu=1

I should have remembered that myself from back in the Windows 95 Days and Dual Boot Days. You certainly have a better memory than I do. I guess the only other question I have is, Do you think there would be a "virus" that would cause this? The PC it happened on is one utilized by people who treat a PC like they treat their car;i.e., they drive it but don't fix it. Nobody but them has access to it and they would have no idea how to access the file, let alone modify it. Bye.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Wow he really did hit the nail. Yes some problems just happen like that. Glad you fixed it.