Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing 2000 to XP

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post. I am working on a friends computer which has Windows 2000 OS. I wanted to know if it was alright if I reformatted it to Windows XP using my old Windows XP disk.

Thanks, Susan

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As long as your friend has a license COA and key to run Windows XP. You would also need to confirm that you have the correct disc to match the version licensed on your friend's key.

If your friend does not have a COA and key then the answer is no. You would have to grab another copy.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi Troy,

I have no idea what a "COA" is. His computer uses Windows 2000, given to him by a friend. I wanted to

reformat it (wipe it clean) and use MY Windows XP disk, which I have a key to.

Thanks, Susan

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A COA = certificate of authenticity. The COA is the sticker which has the key printed on it, here you can find more information on it:

Microsoft COA How To Tell Site

So basically what I'm saying is each computer must have its own license to run Windows XP. If your friend does not have a license then the following applies:
  • If you are using your license then you cannot share it with your friend, whether it is OEM or retail.
  • If you aren't using your license but it is an OEM license then you cannot give it to your friend - the license belongs to the machine specifically.
  • If you aren't using your license and it is retail then you are able to give the whole lot to your friend. Retail licenses belong to the user and are transferable, however they are only allowed on one machine at a time.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Troy