Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networked Canon IR C3080i fails to print intermittently

• Please log in to reply

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello again everyone! I am hoping someone may be able to help me. We have a Canon Image Runner with a PS board and for about 6 months we have been experiencing intermittent print failures.

Usually there are no errors on the client side or the printer. You send the job and the printer just says processing/receiving and seems to be stuck in this loop. Trying to cancel the job on the printer side results in the printer freezing forcing a hard reboot. The interesting thing about this is that when one looks at the print queue it looks as if the entire job transferred but looking at job details on the printer it is usually not the case.

Occasionally, when you watch the job transfer it will stop sending from the PC to the printer. Say if the file is a 20 MB PDF it will just stop at 11.3 and the printer will have printed nothing and be stuck in the loop.

Also, there are times when someone prints something and nothing comes out but the log says the job printed by displaying OK next to the log entry.

We have had the service people come several times and they have provided the latest drivers and replaced the HDD in the printer.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Any issues printing locally? (cable connected)

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the reply. I actually haven't gotten around to trying that yet but I will. An interesting thing though, I may have part of the problem narrowed down to problems within the documents themselves after having the users show me the documents that have all failed. They are all PDFs and what is even more vexing is that they were created by InDesign.

I have been able to get all of the files to print after shrinking the images within the InDesign files but it leaves the question: Why is this step necessary? I will try to print the original files locally and see what happens and post back ASAP.

Edited by bobafett81181, 16 April 2010 - 10:04 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
To rule out the Wifi module being the point of failure. If not, its probably an incompatibility issue with whatever your using to generate the documents. Hopefully something a firmware update, if available, can fix.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have the network driver set to print immediately or after the document finishes spooling? do you have the PS driver installed?

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have the spooler turned off after being told by a technician that it may be causing the problem. On or off the spooling service doesn't help. I do have the PS driver installed and it can get the device status and I can print a test page from it. However, I just tried printing a PDF that was 23 MB and it stopped after transferring 11 MB then I got an error that said it failed to print. I am going to try this file locally as you suggested earlier. I will post back with results.

Edited by bobafett81181, 19 April 2010 - 01:30 PM.

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok I could not get the PS3 driver configured on the laptop that I was going to use to test the local printing so I tried some other things:

1. I set up the UFR II driver to print locally and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I also tried this driver on the network and it worked.

2. I printed from a PCL 5 driver and it worked over the network

3. I tried printing using the PS3 driver 4 times over the network. It failed once like it usually does where it sends so much then stops and the other three times the print log said the job was OK though it didn't print anything.

4. I tried printing a PS3 test page 3 times and all three came out just fine.

5. Tried printing the document again and it got stuck.

Can anyone feel how much my brain is beginning to hurt yet? :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Define PS3.

So if the PCL5 driver works fine, then why not use it?

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
PS3 is a post script driver that we use for our marketing department. That department is the main one experiencing issues. Everyone else uses the PCL or UFR drivers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...printing a PS document (i.e. PDF) on a UFRII or PCL driver does not give desired results (mainly with scaling). i've got quite a few canons (4080's and 5185's mostly). they're really nice printers but i've not had the joys of dealing with their PS drivers. i wonder if you should contact canon support to see if they've seen this issue?

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I called Canon and they referred me back to the dealer claiming they were not trained on this kind of printer at 1-800-OK CANON. New developments: Neither the PCL or the UFR will print large files over the network or locally anymore.