Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CGI/Perl Puzzle

• Please log in to reply

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
For those who care about background information:

I was developing a site for a friend last summer, all was going well and I almost had a basic working version, I got hung up on one thing that I could not figure out though. Part of the outline of the site required a form, I did my research and found a couple of tutorials on how to create an E-mail form. However, when I tried to implement the concepts on my own, and place it onto the hosting service for testing, submission just resulted in a generic "500 Internal Server error". I even had an opportunity to test it on a different server, so I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know what.

When I try to compile the CGI/perl code locally the compiler tells me that every variable is uninitialized. I assumed that was because no data was being sent to it, and so dismissed it as something that wouldn't be a problem when it was being sent data from the form when its on an actual server.

For those who don't care about background:

Where's my problem? My guess is I'm doing something wrong with my perl script, but perhaps I'm not submitting the information to the script properly.

My perl Code
My HTML Code

Between those 2 items, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Let me simplify the puzzle quite drastically for all interested.

Specifically, I cannot get any of the variables initialized.

(Every reference to a variable returns a:

Use of unitialized value in String or Concatination

I've tried force-feeding it values (through a text file), but it still comes back claiming the variables are unitialized. How can I rectify this?